D5300 or D7100?

overco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have a D5300, I bought it refurbished for 530$ recently. Adorama has a D7100 refurbished for 489$. Should I return my D5300 and get the D7100, or is it not worth it?

Both cameras has about same image quality and low light performance.
D7100 has better auto focus system, second command dial, weather sealing, better build quality, flash commander and many more stuff you might or might not need/use.
D7100 is also bigger and heavier and has in body AF motor which is good if you buy older "D" lenses

If this was my only camera I shoot then I would definitely want the D7100 over the D5300.

D7100 has better auto focus system, second command dial, weather sealing, better build quality, flash commander and many more stuff you might or might not need/use.
D7100 is also bigger and heavier and has in body AF motor which is good if you buy older "D" lenses

If this was my only camera I shoot then I would definitely want the D7100 over the D5300.

Is the whole return process worth saving the extra money and I guess a better camera?

Is the whole return process worth saving the extra money and I guess a better camera?
Only you can answer that.

Ask yourself how serious of a photographer are you ?
If you enjoy shooting from time to time then the D5300 is good enough, if really is an excellent camera but if you really want to get very serious with your photography then the added features, better build quality and more would make it worth your while to make the swap.

Only you can answer that.

Ask yourself how serious of a photographer are you ?
If you enjoy shooting from time to time then the D5300 is good enough, if really is an excellent camera but if you really want to get very serious with your photography then the added features, better build quality and more would make it worth your while to make the swap.

Well the D5300 is my first DSLR that I have owned. I bought a Nikon 35mm 1.8 prime lens and don't use the included 18-55mm lens with the D5300 at all. So even if the D7100 price changed I can still re-purchase the D5300 without the lens for 60$ cheaper. But I just really want to become more professional at these things.

I'd say get the 7100: I've been there and regretted not getting the D7000 over the D5100
You won't second guess if you should have purchased the better camera body. Additionally, your photography can grow for a longer period of time with the D7100

I'd say get the 7100: I've been there and regretted not getting the D7000 over the D5100
You won't second guess if you should have purchased the better camera body. Additionally, your photography can grow for a longer period of time with the D7100

If the 489$ deal ends, the only other option is 530$ for the D7100, is it still worth it?

...then invest your money in good glass! The glass matters much more than the body. You're already on the right track with the 35mm.

You're talking a difference of $40? That's not even a difference. I would still buy the 7100 over the 5300.

What does that D7100 have that has you even considering this?

The D5300 is techincally the better image maker since it lacks the AA filter and has a better image processor over the D7100.

D7100 also has no AA filter.

The screen on the d5xxx system is nice and handy but that's user preference.

The d7100 is a better long term camera in my opinion. A lot talk about in body motors and while that's a benefit for some, not everyone wants to buy older lenses.

The d7100 has better weather seals and is more rugged when teamed with weather sealing lenses. It has a better af system. It supports cls lighting system and high speed sync which allows more creative freedom. It's shutter is rated for more shots (I think) and it had dual memory cards which some find happy. It's a step up in performance from the already excellent d5300

D7100 also has no AA filter.

The screen on the d5xxx system is nice and handy but that's user preference.

The d7100 is a better long term camera in my opinion. A lot talk about in body motors and while that's a benefit for some, not everyone wants to buy older lenses.

The d7100 has better weather seals and is more rugged when teamed with weather sealing lenses. It has a better af system. It supports cls lighting system and high speed sync which allows more creative freedom. It's shutter is rated for more shots (I think) and it had dual memory cards which some find happy. It's a step up in performance from the already excellent d5300

If you could recommend one of the 2, what would you choose?

As I said the d7100 is better in my opinion

Most reactions

Back