D5300 vs d7000

Giwpanski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am an average photographer.... i like to shoot video and low light, too... to me the d5300 seems like a more attractive option.. but the d7000 is of a higher class... if anyone of you experts could help me, i d be glad..
Thanks in advance.

There are multiple threads covering this topic, and you can use the search function to find some threads that interest you.

Meanwhile; I will ask if you have thought of any particular lenses to go with either body. Because you have many choices, depending on what you're after and your budget. If you are content with one lens that usually comes packaged with a Nikon body, then no big deal. If you have a limited budget and are considering some of the older Nikon lenses (Nikon mount third party included), then you should consider how it all works together.

Check this thread where the discussion of using older lenses on those bodies will or will not work:

AF Lenses on a Digital Nikon?

I would get the D5300
Less features better sensor.

I'd suggest you get the D7000. Multiple reasons why:
1. You said you like to shoot natural light. In which case, ISO settings matter a lot. The D5300 has 9 ISO settings (max of 25600). The D7000 has 19 maxing out at 64000. Quite simply, for someone who does not like to use artificial light, the D7000 is going to work better for you.

2. The D5300 has no internal autofocus motor in the body. That makes it a smaller and lighter body (a plus). It's going to be easier to carry around. And if you have small hands or weak wrists then you seriously ought to think about the D5300. But that also means that every lens you use has to have an autofocus motor in it or you're shooting manual. That matters if you use off-brand lens to save money or older lens that don't have autofocus motors in them. The D7000 has an internal autofocus motor in the body.

3. The D7000 has the commander mode. The quick explanation is this: you raise your pop-up flash. But rather than use it as a flash, you use it to communicate with off-camera speed lights. I know you said you prefer natural light. That's fine...but at some point you may decide you want to get a speed light or two for portraiture...or indoor work of some sort. In which case if you don't have a camera that can talk to your speed lights (via commander mode) you end up buying pocket wizards or cheaper triggers.

1. You said you like to shoot natural light. In which case, ISO settings matter a lot. The D5300 has 9 ISO settings (max of 25600). The D7000 has 19 maxing out at 64000. Quite simply, for someone who does not like to use artificial light, the D7000 is going to work better for you.
Actually the D7000 is going as high as 6400ISO and not 64000ISO, the D5300 has the advantage here.

Actually the D7000 is going as high as 6400ISO and not 64000ISO, the D5300 has the advantage here.

Yep, typo--I accidentally added an extra zero there--good catch. But the D7000 still has 19 ISO settings and the D5300 only 9.

Most reactions

Back