elrafo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
el-rafo.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there,

The D700 is stays at 3,000 when the 5D is supposed to get into the Market for only 2,700... I am not sure a lot of people down here is working for Nikon or could have the right to say smthng about this but don't you think it will be hard for Nikon to keep on the line without reducing the price of their great D700 ?
I personnaly hope the D700 will price under the 5D, if not, I will go for Canon... Already sold my D200 ;)
Fingers crossed, can't wait for the Match!

The $300 probably won't make or break a persons decision on getting a Nikon. If they have thousands of $'s invested in lenses in Nikon, they wont switch to Canon to save $300.

The two cameras don't really match up head to head. For some people, the advantages of the D700 will be more than worth the rather small price difference. For some people, the advantages of the 5DII make it a better choice.

For the most part, these aren't cameras for people starting a system, so they don't need to compete head to head. The 5DII is for Canon users and the D700 is for Nikon users...they are more likely to be competing with other cameras in their own system. Except, of course, on internet chat forums ;).

I agree but the expenses of the 24-70mm nikon + D700 is way to high in my opinion compared to the Canon equivalent , and I am a nikon user... but I don't have a bag of primes though... maybe a fair comparison between those two cams in low light would help me to choose! ;)

two complete different cameras. D700 kills the 5d2 for speed, AF, build, (IMO) ergonomics. while the 5d2 has a slight advantage in resolution (at least it will when canon releases glass that can resolve 21MP), and video. low-light seems pretty comparable. I think price is irrelevant here..

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D700-12-1MP-Digital-Body/dp/B001BTCSI6/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223057960&sr=8-1[/ame]

D700 is $2700 on Amazon folks. . .will fall once MdK2 is out in full form for sure. . .

two complete different cameras. D700 kills the 5d2 for speed, AF, build, (IMO) ergonomics. while the 5d2 has a slight advantage in resolution (at least it will when canon releases glass that can resolve 21MP), and video. low-light seems pretty comparable. I think price is irrelevant here..

Have you got to shoot with a 5D MKII yet? Is the build that bad?

And it has the same pixel density as an 8mp 1.6 crop sensor. Wouldn't it make more sense that something like a 15mp 50D on a 1.6 crop sensor would have more problems with the lenses reolving the higher mp count with such a large density. That's equal to about a 38mp ff sensor I believe.

I know where anyone could get a D700 for $2499US+ delivery today!
Prices are falling quick enough, though. I mean from July to now a thousand dollars off a D700... wow, that's a lot.

In the end, it all depends on what your brand preferences are. I see nothing wrong with either Canon or Nikon, they each fill a necessary niche in the market place... and the times they bump heads, that means that we as consumers win.

So Jerry .. are you ready to pull the trigger now? or you still not sure if you want to go with D3.

D700 is about £600 less than the 5D mkII over here

So Jerry .. are you ready to pull the trigger now? or you still not sure if you want to go with D3.

Maybe. It's all going to come down if I want to decide to turn pro or not. I'm in no rush and will give myself till Christmas to make the decision like I decided a while back.

... but the D700 is sure looking more attractive now that it's dropped a grand. :D

Have you got to shoot with a 5D MKII yet? Is the build that bad?

And it has the same pixel density as an 8mp 1.6 crop sensor. Wouldn't it make more sense that something like a 15mp 50D on a 1.6 crop sensor would have more problems with the lenses reolving the higher mp count with such a large density. That's equal to about a 38mp ff sensor I believe.
would you believe me if I said yes? it's not weather-sealed. D700 is. good thing you didn't design either of them, or else you might have taken that personally, right?
1ds3 is reportedly having problems with certain glass. ie 16-35II. 24-70L?
lastly, who cares about the 50D? its resolution has nothing to do with that of the 5d2, or D700.

Prices in Japan:

Canon 5D MkII (pre-order) - JPY265,216 = USD2518.18 = EUR1816.22
Nikon D700 - JPY247,199 = USD2347.12 = EUR1692.84

The prices are quite close, so even if one were to compare them directly, the price really wouldn't make much of a difference. I'm think (both) prices will go a bit lower once the 5D MkII hits the market properly.

I am not sure a lot of people down here is working for Nikon or could have the right to say smthng about this but don't you think it will be hard for Nikon to keep on the line without reducing the price of their great D700 ?

Keep what line? The Nikon D700 isn't competing with the Canon 5D mkII, The Nikon lineup is competing with the canon lineup, and then all of their own cameras are competing for value with their existing customers.

For example even if it were $1000 more I won't get a Canon 5D mkII because I have and investment in Nikon already. Someone who is new to the field won't (shouldn't) jump in and buy either camera when they won't have a clue how to use them.

The D40/60 and 1000D / 350D compete for the customers, and that's it. Beyond that I am willing to place money on the fact that 99% of the users won't switch because one camera is a few hundred $ cheaper than the other at any given time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back