D810 Successor Wishlist

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Whats your ideas for possible improvements of the D810 successor ?

Mine:

- Backlit full frame sensor like Sony A7r2, but native base ISO again at 64 (or even less)
- Ideally Resolution 8192x5476 or 44.86 Megapixel, for best 4K video at 4096x2160
- Coated, non-reflecting touchscreen, tilting like D750 or even better flipping like D5500
- internal 4K Video (4096x2160 24 Hz), UHD (3840x2160 60 Hz), 10 Bit, Log Format, no line skipping
- All bells and whistles for video, like Focus Peeking, Zebras, Life Histogram etc
- Keep the silent shutter - or make it even more silent. Fully electronic shutter would be great, too.
- Maybe broader AF field ?
- More AF finetuning options like on a Canon
- Fast selection of focus in Lifeview mode
- Real mode dial wit P/S/A/M/U1/U2/../U<n> (n being in the range 4-7 would be nice), even pressing a button and moving a dial would be an improvement over clicking a single button repeatedly- Dual SD card with UHS-II (up to ~300 MB/s) (you can add a CF card slot as well, or have two CF card slots instead - but I'd want two of the same type for backup)
- WiFi etc (GPS can stay being a separate module)
- EVF in Lifeview mode (for video and manual focus lenses)
- Lifeview pre-selectable by a fixed switch (for EVF and manual focus lens users)
- Or alternatively a well enough aligned viewscreen that works for manual glas (even with Zeiss Otus monsters)
- Auto-ISO: Allow saving Auto-ISO options per lens, allow to specify second lower limit for focal length multiplier when VR is active, allow to specify lowest shutterspeed allowed, allow to set that last parameter without menusurfing through some button+dial combo
- Ergonomics: Any optimization for better for single hand operation would be appreciated

I hope it's black.

Whats your ideas for possible improvements of the D810 successor ?

Mine:

- Backlit full frame sensor like Sony A7r2, but native base ISO again at 64 (or even less)
- Ideally Resolution 8192x5476 or 44.86 Megapixel, for best 4K video at 4096x2160
- Coated, non-reflecting touchscreen, tilting like D750 or even better flipping like D5500
- internal 4K Video (4096x2160 24 Hz), UHD (3840x2160 60 Hz), 10 Bit, Log Format, no line skipping
- All bells and whistles for video, like Focus Peeking, Zebras, Life Histogram etc
- Keep the silent shutter - or make it even more silent. Fully electronic shutter would be great, too.
- Maybe broader AF field ?
- More AF finetuning options like on a Canon
- Fast selection of focus in Lifeview mode
- Real mode dial wit P/S/A/M/U1/U2/../U<n> (n being in the range 4-7 would be nice), even pressing a button and moving a dial would be an improvement over clicking a single button repeatedly- Dual SD card with UHS-II (up to ~300 MB/s) (you can add a CF card slot as well, or have two CF card slots instead - but I'd want two of the same type for backup)
- WiFi etc (GPS can stay being a separate module)
- EVF in Lifeview mode (for video and manual focus lenses)
- Lifeview pre-selectable by a fixed switch (for EVF and manual focus lens users)
- Or alternatively a well enough aligned viewscreen that works for manual glas (even with Zeiss Otus monsters)
- Auto-ISO: Allow saving Auto-ISO options per lens, allow to specify second lower limit for focal length multiplier when VR is active, allow to specify lowest shutterspeed allowed, allow to set that last parameter without menusurfing through some button+dial combo
- Ergonomics: Any optimization for better for single hand operation would be appreciated
Like your list, I will only add 51200 native ISO

To be fully tested and working so Nikon doesn't have to use the public as a beta test group and recall it for oil, flare, left focus issue, etc...

Zing!

Ohhh...ohhhh...ohhhhh....let's hope it's priced at a mere $1,499. lol

I dunno...it would be sweet to have a more-economical model that would offer the next-generation 42-MP Sony sensor in a compact sort of D750-sized, D750-priced body with a few selected issues. So maybe that would be the D750's follow-up model. I think offering the 5:4 capture option in raw would be a nice feature, one the D3-series cameras offered, and I would like to see 16:9 and also 4:3 aspect in-camera capture sizes offered. Portraiture and people work in the 3:2 aspect ratio is actually a bit problematic compared with the way things look at 5:4 or 4:3...the 3:2 aspect ratio frame is too damned tall or too damned skinny when you're shooting verticals, and the frame is not "tall" enough when you're shooting horizontals. I really like the 5:4 in-camera crop on my camera, and I'd like to have it moving forward.

I think they will probably try to boost the shooting speed in an 810 follow-up model.

I want voice activated commands, then my wife will really be jealous of my camera :02.47-tranquillity:

If I can be serious for a second it would probably be a high mp version aimed at the 5dsr. 60-70mp? Who knows.

To be fully tested and working so Nikon doesn't have to use the public as a beta test group and recall it for oil, flare, left focus issue, etc...
Pretty easy to do, actually. Just produce the camera directly in Japan with highest standards. But then Nikon cameras would no longer be cheaper than Canon cameras.

My wishlist is it takes film
No problem at all, that camera is called F6 and can still be bought new.

Why on earth would you want a Nikon that takes film ? I thought you hate Nikon.
Maybe he doesnt want to buy it, he wants Nikon to go bankrupt trying to sell a new film camera in 2015/16.

Pretty easy to do, actually. Just produce the camera directly in Japan with highest standards. But then Nikon cameras would no longer be cheaper than Canon cameras.

My wishlist is it takes film
No problem at all, that camera is called F6 and can still be bought new.

Why on earth would you want a Nikon that takes film ? I thought you hate Nikon.
Maybe he doesnt want to buy it, he wants Nikon to go bankrupt trying to sell a new film camera in 2015/16.
It's not made Leica go bankrupt making and selling the new MA or the M7

Most reactions

New Topics

Back