D90 or D200 for a wedding

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got hired for a wedding and I have access to my own D90 and I can borrow (for free) an older D200. Now I am going to use my wife as a second shooter, but she is not as familiar with cameras and using manual or priority settings (but she is learning:).

So my question is should I use the superior picture quality D90 as the main camera but the manual controls are not the best. Or should I give the D90 to the second shooter (my wife) and use the superior controls of the D200 for myself?

This will be an indoor wedding!

Thanks for your help!

Well the thing is the wedding is not for 5 months and I am fairly adapt with both cameras, it's just I have never done a wedding and I am not sure if the extra buttons on the D200 would be a greater help or not!

Since you say 'Hired' I will assume that you're doing this as a paid job for clients and not just to help a friend out. That moves you out of the 'amateur' class and into 'professional'. So the first questions I would ask of any professional are: Are you fully insured and licensed to operate a business in your [undisclosed] location? Assuming you are, i have to ask why you are taking on the role of lead shooter for your first wedding? Weddings are a one-time event with no do-overs, and jumping in at the deep end is not, IMO, the best way to learn this particular aspect of the craft. I would strongly recommend that you explain this to the couple and suggest that they hire someone with more experience with whom you can second-shoot to gain some experience.

Now, assuming you cannot or will not do that, on to the cameras. Both the D90 and the D200 can produce excellent images; granted their low-light performance is sub-par compared to current models, but if you are skilled in the technical aspects of photography, understand exposure and have some good lighting available (unless this is an out of doors, daytime event), then they will serve your needs. I wouldn't put either one much ahead of the other, and recommend each of you use whichever one you are most comfortable with. That said, the bodies are relatively unimportant; your lenses are critical, and while you do turn in a decent job with 'most any camera if you know what you're doing, unless you have some good, fast glass, life is going to become VERY painful. Do you have the 15-200mm range covered, all with at least a minimum aperture of f2.8? If not, you'd better contact your nearest rental service and reserve!

I thought I would have been the first but better members above me beats me to it. I still have my D90 as a second body. It is a good camera but since you are familiar with the D200,use that with a good lens.

Maybe let your wife try both cameras and see which may work better for her, but if she isn't familiar with using aperture or manual settings that doesn't seem like she's ready to assist at a wedding. At least as far as taking photos, maybe she can assist with set up and directing people for posed shots, etc.

I agree it would probably be better to have gotten some experience assisting at photographing a wedding first. For this you might be better off with your camera that's more familiar, and at least do some practice shots at places where you can take pictures and practice shooting in low or various indoor light.

1. I have a lens rental place that I will be renting from
2. This wedding is 5 months away, so therefore we will have time to practice
3. I am doing this wedding for a friend, and I am giving both of them very good deals so there is nowhere else that they could go to where they could afford it.
4. I am doing a wedding before this for free Therefore we both get good practice before this wedding where we will be paid.

Thanks for the advice on which camera to use as the main one and lens to rent! That was a big help. :)

Most reactions

Back