Dakota and Storey

BrickHouse

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter and her new friend at the park. C&C welcomed. Wish I could have stepped to the right a couple feet but this was a split second moment and only got one shot off before they took off running again.

DSC_0144-1 by Bolt x4, on Flickr

The back of their heads are cut off but I like it anyway snapshot or not. just one of those intimate kiddo moments I cant resist. Leaning over the booth, almost peaking over it giggly like.

lol

Hey you got it in focus and it's a cute moment. I think that matters more than a perfect composition...although...a looser crop wouldn't be too bad. :)

The ISO 100 and f/1.8 setting decisions kind of hurt this shot. A little bit more depth of field would have added to the feeling of "real-ness" by getting all of their heads in focus. As it is there are lots of out of focus areas. For these kind of kid candids using ISO 320 or 400 makes more sense than running at BASE ISO on grab-shot rich opportunities like this. f/1.8 is simply not the right aperture when there are two (unpredictable and little) people in close-in compositions like this. One person, okay, you can get away with it...but with two people, at that close a range, electing to go wide-open with a telephoto AND running at ISO 100 is not the best strategy for getting the pictures when you often are going to have 1,2,maybe 3 seconds to get the whole shot, start to finish. Make no mistake--it is a cute moment. But it has a lot of OOF areas that could easily have been avoided. If the lens would have been at f/4, this would be much stronger.

Yeah, that'll come with time. Going to have to learn the lens a bit more. This was probably the 8th or 9th shot ever. Hopefully tomorrow I can play with it more. Thanks!

I saw the shot of the little girl standing on the play structure, also shot at f/1.8--in THAT situation, at that much longer distance, outdoors in decent light, the wide-open f/1.8 aperture was pictorially appropriate and worked out just fine. You'll probably be floored by what that lens can do stopped down to say, f/2.5. It's really an amazing new lens design. At f/4 it's really astounding.

Can't wait! I look forward to getting more time to shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back