"Dark Side"

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently read a story about "shadow people"; dark figures that many believe are evil and can be repelled by the name of Jesus (just to clarify, I am absolutely NOT religious). To me if I believed they were real, my idea of what shadow people are would perhaps be that a shadow person is the manifestation of people's darker sides that many are so obsessed with covering up with a smile and hiding rather than facing it and learning to accept what you can't change. No matter how hard you try to cover it up, you can't completely hide who you are. Anyway, this photo was inspired by my recent dealings with my own dark side and represents being at peace with it and with the things around me that I can't change.

mg_0620_by_danostergren-d6osur0.jpg

Last edited:
No matter how hard you try to cover it up, you can't completely hide who you are. Anyway, this photo was inspired by my recent dealings with my own dark side and coming to terms with things around me that I can't change.

But you did not try to cover it. And still no matter how hard I try to see anything dark about this person I really can not. The guy looks quite young and gullible to me. Maybe I am missing something.. Has he killed somebody?

No matter how hard you try to cover it up, you can't completely hide who you are. Anyway, this photo was inspired by my recent dealings with my own dark side and coming to terms with things around me that I can't change.

But you did not try to cover it. And still no matter how hard I try to see anything dark about this person I really can not. The guy looks quite young and gullible to me. Maybe I am missing something.. Has he killed somebody?
To me the shadow creates a sort of extension to his figure representing the dark side, and the man illuminated in the light represents the attempt at hiding it.

The way the shadows fall, particularly under his armpits, with his dark tank top makes him look unflatteringly wide in the chest and waist, can you fix that in post or maybe crop to head and shoulders? As for the dark side - sorry, the guy just looks like the kind of guy I'd like to introduce to my daughter (if she wasn't already married to a great guy). If you were looking up at him instead of down that might help, as it is he looks a bit vulnerable to me. :D

To me the shadow creates a sort of extension to his figure representing the dark side, and the man illuminated in the light represents the attempt at hiding it.

Alright, I got it.

I think it'd be better if your model had a "darker" sort of expression, given dark side's the theme.

The guy looks like a choir boy...the All-American guy next door...one hell of a nice guy...you know...he just does NOT HAVE that "Satanic" vibe in any way,shape, or smile...

I think it'd be better if your model had a "darker" sort of expression, given dark side's the theme.
Personally I like the juxtapose between his expression and the dark shadow. I see it as representing being at peace with that side of who you are. I've learned that I can make a lot of personal growth in my darkest times, but I have to understand it as a struggle that is necessary and natural. A darker expression to me would translate as agony and not being at peace.

The guy looks like a choir boy...the All-American guy next door...one hell of a nice guy...you know...he just does NOT HAVE that "Satanic" vibe in any way,shape, or smile...
I never mentioned anything about a Satan or a satanic vibe...

Personally I like the juxtapose between his expression and the dark shadow. I see it as representing being at peace with that side of who you are. I've learned that I can make a lot of personal growth in my darkest times, but I have to understand it as a struggle that is necessary and natural. A darker expression to me would translate as agony and not being at peace.

I think you're right that he should have a facial expression that contrasts with the darkness. I just think that his particular expression in this picture conveys a bit more 'having fun with' rather than 'at peace with' the dark side. Maybe a bit too close to a smirk, or too much teeth? I like the concept and almost everything about the composition and lighting. I agree that a lower angle might have conveyed your intended feeling/mood a little bit better. Looking down at him certainly does make him seem a bit more vulnerable, which may contradict that intended idea of acceptance and at peace with the dark side.

N

You mentioned "shadow people"; dark figures that many believe are evil and can be repelled by the name of Jesus (just to clarify, I am absolutely NOT religious)."

I have no idea WTF you meant then, obviously. Seems like you don't either.

I do not know why I even bother with your threads. I'm putting you on ignore. Congratulations,you're the first in over three years!!!

I can't say that the expression on his face conveys to me what you've described; maybe it's an idea to be explored further. What I like about the photo is the texture in the gray, and the shadow, particularly of his face - it almost looks as if his shadow is looking up and to the right (his left - maybe that part of the image would be closer to showing what you intended?).

N

You mentioned "shadow people"; dark figures that many believe are evil and can be repelled by the name of Jesus (just to clarify, I am absolutely NOT religious)."

I have no idea WTF you meant then, obviously. Seems like you don't either.

I do not know why I even bother with your threads. I'm putting you on ignore. Congratulations,you're the first in over three years!!!

Well, that escalated quickly..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back