Daughter by Pool

onesix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning guys and Gals,

I took this by the pool in LA. I think it is washed out but I wife really likes it because it does bring out the blue in her eyes. What do you guys think? Feel free to play around with it. If you do please tell me what you did so I can learn.

F/7.1
Exposure time:1/100
Focal Length 60

_CDG5331small.jpg

Thanks a bunch.

I am not that experienced, but it's a bit overexposed for me. I'd also crop the top right corner just a little bit.

Drake,
I know what you mean about the crop. I haven't done anything with the shot yet. I was just wondering abut the exposure. My thoughts exactly about being over exposed.

It is way overexpose which is making it washed out, just spent about 1 minute in photoshop altering levels and burning the edge of the pool and her jumper

721736105_cLS4X-L.jpg

I think if you are going to crop anything off it should be the lower left corner. Taking away from the right side would just take away from where she is looking. And if it is a pool picture, I kinda want to see more of the water.

"burning the edge of the pool and her jumper"

How do you do that? what is that effect? To me the shot looks dark now. Maybe it because I'm used to the lighter shot.

I like it though.

"burning the edge of the pool and her jumper"

How do you do that? what is that effect? To me the shot looks dark now. Maybe it because I'm used to the lighter shot.

I like it though.

Burning is to darken a part of the print/image. There is a burn tool in photoshop that you can use to do this. I'm not sure what the poster actually did to the print, but you can usually just click on this tool and go over parts of the print to darken it.

Now take Maka's version, and do selective color on it - leave the eyes, lips as is while the rest in b/w :) maybe even boost the saturation on eyes and lips :)

Ach nooo.
No selective colouring ... it is sooo cheesy.

Ach nooo.
The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not very fare of you to say that it is cheese just b/c you don't like it.
As it is right now, as much work as folks put in this image, she blends in with the foreground, sadly enough. Thus adding or subtracting color is one few ways to have pop out. Not home right now to try, but I'll see maybe I can play with this image in Vivieza

Ach nooo.
The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not very fare of you to say that it is cheese just b/c you don't like it.
As it is right now, as much work as folks put in this image, she blends in with the foreground, sadly enough. Thus adding or subtracting color is one few ways to have pop out. Not home right now to try, but I'll see maybe I can play with this image in Vivieza

Whenever I see selective coloring, I can't help but think of those "1 hour photo studios" you see in the mall. They always try to sell the selective color prints. To me, selective coloring is very tacky, unless it's done right. In my eyes, this is NOT the type of shot to selective color. Try it if you like, but I really don't think it would add anything to this shot.

And actually, I think this might be a good candidate for a re-take, if it's possible. I might put her in something a bit darker, or with color in it, just to contrast with the edge of the pool. Would make her stand out a lot better, without resorting to tacky photoshop tricks.

The original is somewhat overexposed - Maka's version looks much stronger to me.

onesix - if the others look dark and yours look OK to you, check your monitor brightness and contrast, especially if you often think other's images look dark.

I think cropping out the sky would make it stronger still ...

Gaerek,

What color clothing would you reshoot the picture in? Black?

Ach nooo.

Whenever I see selective coloring, I can't help but think of those "1 hour photo studios" you see in the mall. They always try to sell the selective color prints. To me, selective coloring is very tacky, unless it's done right. In my eyes, this is NOT the type of shot to selective color. Try it if you like, but I really don't think it would add anything to this shot.

And actually, I think this might be a good candidate for a re-take, if it's possible. I might put her in something a bit darker, or with color in it, just to contrast with the edge of the pool. Would make her stand out a lot better, without resorting to tacky photoshop tricks.

There's nothing tacky about editing a picture in photoshop. Especially if you want to enhance or correct something....

Most reactions

Back