Daughter by Pool

No,no... sorry I didn't mean it was that dark. Too much saturation? Maks's version looks really great. Gsgary's looks darker. Don't get me wrong. They are both great. Mine is very over exposed.

Maka,

What did you do? Just play with the levels? Anything special?

I too tried my hand at editing it. It might be a little too saturated for some, obviously you can just tone that down if one wanted. I think I left the blue a little oversaturated.

Just a quick, less than 5 minute edit in Lightroom. I just used "Recovery" a bit, to get some of the shadows back in because it was over exposed, and did a lot of upping the "Blacks" and "Contrast".
editphoto.jpg

Selective coloring may be somewhat tacky is overused, but it sells. A friend of mine who shoots seniors always get the request to do a selective color shot.

I definately like the darker image than the blown out image.

Maka,

What did you do? Just play with the levels? Anything special?

i duplicated layer
auto contrast
levels
duplicated layer again
color burn and brushed pool
did a little sharpening
and thats it :)

glad you like it :)

The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not very fare of you to say that it is cheese just b/c you don't like it.
As it is right now, as much work as folks put in this image, she blends in with the foreground, sadly enough. Thus adding or subtracting color is one few ways to have pop out. Not home right now to try, but I'll see maybe I can play with this image in Vivieza

Whenever I see selective coloring, I can't help but think of those "1 hour photo studios" you see in the mall. They always try to sell the selective color prints. To me, selective coloring is very tacky, unless it's done right. In my eyes, this is NOT the type of shot to selective color. Try it if you like, but I really don't think it would add anything to this shot.

And actually, I think this might be a good candidate for a re-take, if it's possible. I might put her in something a bit darker, or with color in it, just to contrast with the edge of the pool. Would make her stand out a lot better, without resorting to tacky photoshop tricks.

There's nothing tacky about editing a picture in photoshop. Especially if you want to enhance or correct something....

You misunderstood me, I was referring to the selective coloring. Sorry about the clarification. I love photoshop. :)

Selective coloring may be somewhat tacky is overused, but it sells. A friend of mine who shoots seniors always get the request to do a selective color shot.

I definately like the darker image than the blown out image.

Lol, that's my point. :)

onesix said:
What color clothing would you reshoot the picture in? Black?

I don't know if I'd use black, simply because it looks kind of like a "summer fun" type of shot. Maybe something that has some color to it, but is darker than just white. The problem is, the white of her shirt, and the white of the edge of the pool just blend together. A different color shirt would make a definite separation between her and the pool.

Whenever I see selective coloring, I can't help but think of those "1 hour photo studios" you see in the mall. They always try to sell the selective color prints. To me, selective coloring is very tacky, unless it's done right. In my eyes, this is NOT the type of shot to selective color. Try it if you like, but I really don't think it would add anything to this shot.

And actually, I think this might be a good candidate for a re-take, if it's possible. I might put her in something a bit darker, or with color in it, just to contrast with the edge of the pool. Would make her stand out a lot better, without resorting to tacky photoshop tricks.

There's nothing tacky about editing a picture in photoshop. Especially if you want to enhance or correct something....

You misunderstood me, I was referring to the selective coloring. Sorry about the clarification. I love photoshop. :)

Gotcha. :thumbup:

You said it unless it is done right. Mall photo places need to put out the product and move on.

#2 Film or digital, image needs to be processed to reflect what photographer sees or wants to see in his image.

The image above is overexposed. It is easier to correct underexposure then over exposure. You can only do so much by boost contrast, dodge, crop, etc but unfortunately some details are lost. At times like these, you get a bit creative and selective coloring is a basic example of creativity and start editing it to save/make the image more pleasurable :) You want to take it a step further, you cut out the pool and everything around the girl and put her on some cloud. Sky is the limit.

i like the later one. Love the color cast. Or is it my eyes and monitor failing? :)

Mike,

I love the two you did. What did you do for the b/w one? Desaturate?

I took a go at it...

_CDG5331small.jpg

Most of the work was in the curves, trying to restore what the over-exposure took away. I usually shoot a little under-exposed. You can restore more detail when it's under than when it's over. When something's blown out, the information is gone. I added a little saturation and a TINY ammount of contrast... then used an unsharp mask to sharpen up the image a little.

Most reactions

Back