What's new

DC Restaurants - When I eat, I shoot.

fuel

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 18, 2013
Messages
12
Reaction score
4
Location
Washington DC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
8755358295_4439edcf79_c.jpg

Masa 14

8756415534_88ce415e64_c.jpg

Maté

8756470610_c0e0823ee4_c.jpg

Mintwood Place

More at Flickr - DC Restaurants

Before I start to eat, I like to look around and get a feel of the interior.

Looking for critique on improvements. Hammer away :D
 
Last edited:
meh, nothing that interesting. the people in the photo need to have more emotion or be less boring.
 
On a more serious note, welcome to the forum OP. I'm in the same general area as you - always nice to see familiar landmarks!

The first is definitely best, IMO. You, intentionally or not, worked your leading lines so that focus is directed to the two men conversing at the end of the bar. Would be nicer if they were a bit more present in the frame, but I think you did alright.
 
Thanks for the feedback Jowen. You're right, I should've had more of the men conversing. The lines were intentional, but not for the men (I had the back of the room in mind). I wish I had thought of that. I believe the guy in white may have been in charge too. Opportunity missed!
 
I loled at the studio comment, I should've said that to a reply I got on my thread, heh. Anyway, the first two are just a bit too contrasty for my taste.
 
meh, nothing that interesting. the people in the photo need to have more emotion or be less boring.

Yes, so make sure you pose every "street" subject just so, as if you were in a studio.

Lulz.

no put yourself in a more exciting situation, or wait for the moment when the crowd shows some emotion... you know... like a real photographer.
 
meh, nothing that interesting. the people in the photo need to have more emotion or be less boring.

Yes, so make sure you pose every "street" subject just so, as if you were in a studio.

Lulz.

no put yourself in a more exciting situation, or wait for the moment when the crowd shows some emotion... you know... like a real photographer.

When restaurants get to the point where "things get exciting", the LAST THING they are going to put up with is some average Joe off the street, trying to play photojournalist. At that point, unless they know you are coming, and coming to take shots, the only thing you are going to get shots of with cooperation, is the plate of food in front of you.
 
I like No 2. Nice colors. I hope you would not mind if I share my restaurant photo on your thread.


$Pete Nu online  DSC_3244.webp
 
Last edited:
But I must admit, even though I did not like that "meh" part, people do help. This one is nothing special, made in my local pub, but check this Japanese man: he is eating English fish & chips and it is like "WTF is this ???" We talked after I made the shot and the man was 72 y.o. I was amazed, he looks 10 years younger. Probably because he had never eaten fish & chips...

$Michi online.webp
 
the first two are just a bit too contrasty for my taste.

Thanks for pointing that out Sbuxo. I always have a difficult time with good contrast and too much.

meh, nothing that interesting. the people in the photo need to have more emotion or be less boring.
put yourself in a more exciting situation, or wait for the moment when the crowd shows some emotion... you know... like a real photographer.
From what I understand, you are more concerned with people's emotions in regards to interior design. I will keep that in mind. :neutral:
 
If it's the architecture and interior design you're wanting to capture, try shooting in directions without people. Right now you're kind of in between "street" photography and architectural/ID documentary. Another idea I just thought of when I looked at your flickr: if you can't get people out of the photo entirely, try a slow shutter speed. Could be interesting :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom