What's new

DC Restaurants - When I eat, I shoot.

If it's the architecture and interior design you're wanting to capture, try shooting in directions without people. Right now you're kind of in between "street" photography and architectural/ID documentary. Another idea I just thought of when I looked at your flickr: if you can't get people out of the photo entirely, try a slow shutter speed. Could be interesting :)
True, it does look more street. I like the long exposure idea. I'll do it from atop a table - too awkward to bring a tripod. People already gawk at me carrying this thing to dinner.

Also, this guy: Gorilla | Flickr - Photo Sharing! <--- pretty sure I tried to take a photo of him/her a few weeks ago at the zoo and all I got was a blurry monkey butt. :(

Luck. The other ones were running around, hiding in the back.
 
put yourself in a more exciting situation, or wait for the moment when the crowd shows some emotion... you know... like a real photographer.
From what I understand, you are more concerned with people's emotions in regards to interior design. I will keep that in mind. :neutral:[/QUOTE]

Clearly my comment was not in regard to the interior design, when I shoot I try to think of everything within the frame, if there are people I try to get a shot where they compliment the surroundings. If a restaurant looks interesting I would like the crowd to have an interesting look as well. In photo #1 if you analyze the people in the shot, it looks like there are two workers just standing around doing nothing, in the middle it looks like a manager just fired someone and to the right it looks like a bartender is trying to stuff money in his socks... they do NOT compliment this modern hip restaurant in this photo.

#2 has no customers which isnt entirely bad for the shot but the guy drinking water distracts me from what looks like a cool bar setup, would have liked to see a shot from on top of the counter.

#3 has an interesting interior design for the restaurant but the people in the scene are distracting, one guy looks like he got poked in the eye or maybe just noticed some random guy taking his picture, no offense to bald people but that bald spot attracts my eye everytime and the light in the background does not help.

attention to details...
 
thats the difference between us...

...i would get the shot

You're setting yourself up for a bad time here at TPF. Your attitude could use some work, but good job on explaining your criticisms.

OP, I like the contrast, and jowens is right about the leading work. Keep doing this, and post some more!! :)
 
thats the difference between us...

...i would get the shot

You're setting yourself up for a bad time here at TPF. Your attitude could use some work, but good job on explaining your criticisms.

OP, I like the contrast, and jowens is right about the leading work. Keep doing this, and post some more!! :)

thats alright... i enjoy photography. in my original comment i did not want to go entirely into depth of what i thought was wrong with the photos but since some of you decided to mock me.. i figured i would explain more. criticism can be helpful, just wish most of you would stop sugar coating everything and saying a shot looks good when in fact you know that you would change a lot of aspects of that shot.
 
thats alright... i enjoy photography. in my original comment i did not want to go entirely into depth of what i thought was wrong with the photos but since some of you decided to mock me.. i figured i would explain more. criticism can be helpful, just wish most of you would stop sugar coating everything and saying a shot looks good when in fact you know that you would change a lot of aspects of that shot.

I figured if you were to be so bold to express how you are a better photographer than the OP you would either

A. Put up

Or

B. shut up

By the way, you will find that very little is sugar coated here. I'll give you some C&C on your "sexy Halloween" thread in a bit if you'd like.
 
Clearly my comment was not in regard to the interior design, when I shoot I try to think of everything within the frame, if there are people I try to get a shot where they compliment the surroundings. If a restaurant looks interesting I would like the crowd to have an interesting look as well. In photo #1 if you analyze the people in the shot, it looks like there are two workers just standing around doing nothing, in the middle it looks like a manager just fired someone and to the right it looks like a bartender is trying to stuff money in his socks... they do NOT compliment this modern hip restaurant in this photo.

#2 has no customers which isnt entirely bad for the shot but the guy drinking water distracts me from what looks like a cool bar setup, would have liked to see a shot from on top of the counter.

#3 has an interesting interior design for the restaurant but the people in the scene are distracting, one guy looks like he got poked in the eye or maybe just noticed some random guy taking his picture, no offense to bald people but that bald spot attracts my eye everytime and the light in the background does not help.

attention to details...
I asked for a hammering and a hammering you gave - I respect that.

I should have gotten permission from the owner/manager to roam around and shoot freely. Then again, I was there for dinner with a friend.

I will try to post more photos where I am afforded the opportunity to wait for the right moment, as you said, like a real photographer.
 
thats alright... i enjoy photography. in my original comment i did not want to go entirely into depth of what i thought was wrong with the photos but since some of you decided to mock me.. i figured i would explain more. criticism can be helpful, just wish most of you would stop sugar coating everything and saying a shot looks good when in fact you know that you would change a lot of aspects of that shot.

I figured if you were to be so bold to express how you are a better photographer than the OP you would either

A. Put up

Or

B. shut up

By the way, you will find that very little is sugar coated here. I'll give you some C&C on your "sexy Halloween" thread in a bit if you'd like.

Well seeing as I never once mentioned that I was a better photographer than the OP, i simply gave my C&C

as for the "sexy Halloween" C&C. Bring it on, I'm not gonna throw a ***** fit
 
thats the difference between us...

...i would get the shot

no put yourself in a more exciting situation, or wait for the moment when the crowd shows some emotion... you know... like a real photographer.

Well seeing as I never once mentioned that I was a better photographer than the OP, i simply gave my C&C

as for the "sexy Halloween" C&C. Bring it on, I'm not gonna throw a ***** fit

Yeah, okay dude.

Talk the talk all you want.
 
no put yourself in a more exciting situation, or wait for the moment when the crowd shows some emotion... you know... like a real photographer.
No but you did imply that the OP was not a "Real photographer" your words not mine. I think all people are trying to tell you is not to look down on others skills because you would do things differently. Honestly when I saw your comment I was like geeze what a snob. Who are you to decide who is a "real photographer" and who isn't. Giving someone constructive criticism is one thing but looking down on others is not cool.

OP those are some interesting shots I have been to DC twice and I love the insides of some of the restaurants. Mostly I have been to the restaurants around Dupont Circle because that is where I like to stay when I am in DC. Raku is definitely my favorite out of all of them I go there at least two times a trip and the inside looks really cool!
 
Seriously people!? Everything I said was in response to jowensphoto's comment... Get your facts straight
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom