Depth of Field

bryanwhite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used to work for this company, and I love going back to their site to see the new photos they have in the gallery, as they do a pretty good job on most, if not all of them. Below is a picture that had a certain "wow" factor for me. I'm guessing the effect was achieved by playing with depth of field, but I'm wondering how far away the camera would have to be to capture people this way. Because of what I know of the people standing around the subject and the subject herself as far as height, I am guessing she is about five feet ahead of the person leaning against the motor coach, and the person on the right is about three feet closer to the camera than her.

http://www.mtrwestern.com/images/gallery/pics/27.jpg

That looks like a photoshop blur to me. I'd bet he lady was masked off and the rest of the frame was blurred with the software rather than in the camera.

I'd have to agree - as some part of the bus would technically also be in the same focus range. Unless some pretty funky tilt and shift was done. I don't know about it.

No doubt in my mind that it's a PS blur. Given that it recedes into the frame at pretty much the same angle as the people, a portion of the bus should be in focus as sharply as the woman. On top of that, the woman wasn't masked all that well before the blur was applied. There are obvious clues in quite a few places: foreground gent's right (our left) sleeve, the woman's right sleeve, corner of the paper's she's holding, to name a few.

Most reactions

Back