Developing your own photos

PeteGerasia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any suggestions on developing photos in home? I'd like to avoid the $8 a roll developing and printing fee, as I'm planning to take lots of shots while I'm learning. I'd like a way to get the images from the negative to my computer but i haven't the slightest clue what a good, cost effective way to go about it would be.

Look at buying a negative scanner. I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a brand and model. And then acquire photoimaging software from somewhere. Gimp or Photoshop will invert the images.

Or you could tape the negatives to white copy paper, tape it to your screen door or window and shoot it with your dSLR. Quality might not be so great.

Yep, and to develope your own negatives you don't need a darkroom, just a lightproof bag so you can open the film cartridge, and put the film on the spool that goes into the developing tank which is also light proof.

Visit YouTube for videos.

Once the negatives have been developed you just need to digitize them so you can convert them to positives, cull, edit and print as a digital image.

If you want to print from the negatives, you need a darkroom.

The scanning is the more expensive part of the process. The cash you lay out for your scanner will come back to you pretty quickly in savings. Develop only at your processor is pretty cheap.

What I could really use is some suggestions of where to start in regards to a negative scanner. I've look at countless reviews and they're so inconsistent....... I don't want to buy a piece of junk.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back