Did I just witness the end of film cameras and film?

I think a more accurate title for this thread is "Did I just witness the end of me going back to film using my Nikon F5 because I can't use that camera without the LCD screen".

I would love to see some of your and other film users negs and slides! They would tell the story, the comments in this particular thread don't. lol

LOL.

I think a more accurate title for this thread is "Did I just witness the end of me going back to film using my Nikon F5 because I can't use that camera without the LCD screen".

I would love to see some of your and other film users negs and slides! They would tell the story, the comments in this particular thread don't. lol

From a few shoots ago...

IMG_5661.jpg

Random work stuff in the last few months, Pentax 645nii, or 645 with 75mm f2.8, 67 90mm f2.8, or 67 105 f2.4. Portra 160 & 400. I don't think I looked at the LCD screen on either of my Pentax's once in any of these shoots. :D

20170919_JoshuaTree-Lilia_01204.JPG
20171017_JoshuaTree_01119.JPG
810100010001.JPG
810100010014.JPG
821930010003.JPG
849810010007.JPG
849850010008-2.JPG
857690010007.JPG
857690020001.JPG
857690020007.JPG
912550010006.JPG
912550010015.JPG
912550020006.JPG
film_01326-2.JPG

If the LCD on you F5 is failing, and this a major issue for you.
Then use a film camera without a LCD. Simple straightforward solution.

Even more so, use a fully manual camera, so you do not need batteries.
That frees you from the potential of the battery becoming difficult/impossible to get, as the mercury batteries became.
Good advice, but not for people who don't like "old hard core".

Then go up 1 step to a match needle meter.
You can still fall back to full manual.
Hi. I was referring to OP's earlier comments.
When comes to me, I guess, I am this iron hardcore. Lol
I shoot only b&w film and don't use in-built light meters but handheld (OK, digital) spot light meter. Also develop myself and print in the darkroom. But that is me and my hobby. :allteeth:

From a few shoots ago...

View attachment 153281

Well they don't tell me much! I would like to see if you nail exposure regularly. Not just one roll where you might've taken the entire roll in the same lighting and the one same exposure was ideal for the entire roll. You mess exposure up you mess color balance up. It's all a skill to get right with any camera. I'd love to see where you had some metering challenges. How good are the negs??? Did you meter well or should you have been using a LCD point and shoot film SLR to give you a little help???

Nothing you can post here. Easy to pull a few good rolls. Anyone can do that. I'd like to print your work regularly, that would tell me.

Well they don't tell me much! I would like to see if you nail exposure regularly. Not just one roll where you might've taken the entire roll in the same lighting and the one same exposure was ideal for the entire roll. You mess exposure up you mess color balance up. It's all a skill to get right with any camera. I'd love to see where you had some metering challenges. How good are the negs??? Did you meter well or should you have been using a LCD point and shoot film SLR to give you a little help???

Nothing you can post here. Easy to pull a few good rolls. Anyone can do that. I'd like to print your work regularly, that would tell me.

Scroll up a bit and read son. Based on what you said here, you have NO place to even talk about film. You are a noob in film. Maybe you should talk a bit less and listen a bit more, then you will learn something. I'm no expert so I just let my work speaks for itself.

Photos of my printed photos :D

IMG_5662.jpg

Vtec44 I just viewed your pics. Second last image has an underexposed neg. Can tell you that without seeing the negs. If the neg is not underexposed, you been processing in Photoshop. There are lots of things you can see if you know what you are looking at.

Edit: I would place my money with this image on the neg being underexposed personally.

Vtec44 I just viewed your pics. Second last image has an underexposed neg. Can tell that without seeing the negs. If the neg is not underexposed, you been processing in Photoshop. There are lots of things you can see if you know what you are looking at.

Time to post your work and show us that you can back your **** up.

Vtec44 I just viewed your pics. Second last image has an underexposed neg. Can tell that without seeing the negs. If the neg is not underexposed, you been processing in Photoshop. There are lots of things you can see if you know what you are looking at.

Do you know why it was under exposed and why I rather under expose than a blurry image? I'm old, correct exposure of that would be around 1/60 shutter speed with Portra 400 with the sun already below the horizon. I shot it at around 1/125 to avoid motion blur because I can't shoot it below 1/90 and get a clear image and told the my lab about it. So, nice try.

If you worry about exposure with film then you should probably talk a bit less. It's the easiest thing to nail in film. I worry about focus a lot more than exposure LOL The AF system on these old medium format cameras suck donkey balls compare to my Nikon DSLR's. My eye sight isn't that great so even with split image focus screen for manual focus, it's sketchy. You shouldn't have any excuse with your F5, focus or exposure, with or w/o LCD. :D

Last edited:
Oh, you mean the noob who knows nothing about film miraculously guessed your exposure was out on a neg by looking at a digital pic on his computer monitor??? Going to go buy a lottery ticket! Having a hot day!

It's a good 1-2 stops out, would need to see the neg to be certain.

Now, don't go getting all ruffled. Deliberate over and underexposure is a part of photography. You can look at the technical but you must also look at the creative reasoning and circumstance. I never said this made you a bad photographer or the image was poor. I just let you know I can see.

Jon, no intention on posting a pic or pics. No reason for me to do so. Read the text and make up your own mind if I know what I'm talking about or not.

Oh, you mean the noob who knows nothing about film miraculously guessed your exposure was out on a neg by looking at a digital pic on his computer monitor??? Going to go buy a lottery ticket! Having a hot day!

Eh, you can guess that with digitals too. What's new, except you with film? :D You talk too much like a lot of people on this forum. You should fit right in. Talk is cheap. Show some work. LOL

Eh, you can guess that with digitals too. What's new, except you with film? :D You talk too much like a lot of people on this forum. You should fit right in. Talk is cheap. Show some work. LOL

You are highly entertaining I must admit! lol

Okay, folks.

@Vtec44 Calm down, you have nothing to prove.

@F5 Penguin This is the second thread you've started about film that is attracting moderator attention. In both threads, you have put forth contradictory arguments and have generally been snide and aggressive in your responses. This is not an auspicious start for a newcomer to TPF.

Let me remind folks to go ahead, have discussions and disagree, no problem, but please avoid turning discussions into contests to determine who can urinate farther.

Most reactions

Back