Did I just witness the end of film cameras and film?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by F5 Penguin, Feb 3, 2018.

1. SoulfulRecover

SoulfulRecover Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    B7D26F66-2365-4C31-88F9-08826CB4AD46.jpeg My LCD screen is doing great :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Wondering what is so great about the Nikon F5? Is it the cheap battery tray that malfunctions so often, and the eight AA-cells the tray needs? Is it the massive size and weight? Is it the in-built film advance and shutter cocking system? As a long-time Nikon fan (going back to the 1970's), I totally never, ever "got" the allure of the F5. I shot the F3HP and FE-2 from the mid-1980's until the early 2000's, and really liked the F3-HP and FE-2. I also liked the FM quite a bit, and shot a 1977-era FM for a long time. I've owned and used the Nikon F meterless, the F with the Photomic FTN prism, the F2, the F2A, and the F2ASb, and the FE-2,FM-2(n), and the FE , the FE-2, and the F3HP, and the Nikon N90s. Again....never have I been a fan of the F4 nor the F5...both were just not what I wanted.

I think if you want to preserve an F5 supply in perpetuity, perhaps seal and deep-freeze a trio of them? Would that work? Wouldn't that slow down the deterioration of the LCD? Might it be possible to get 10 to 15 years out of each one, after it had been un-frozen? I honestly do not know if this would be workable or not.

As far as it goes, I've only owned one Nikon film camera that used an LCD, and that was the Nikon N90s that I bought around 2005 or so I guess it was, back when film camera prices had plummeted to near historical lows. Ehhhh...the N90s got hit with that awful "sticky back" syndrome from that atrocious 1990's era body coating Nikon switched to! No, wait--I have a cheap Canon Rebel 35mm film camera someplace around here...think it has an LCD?

Anyway...I really think there's no basis whatsoever for insisting that the majority of film shooters today cannot get a decent exposure without a multi-segment meter. I think that's basically an unproven claim at the best, and a false and condemning bit of nonsense at the worst; regardless of how people do their light metering, it's the final pictures that matter most. Hand-held metering doesn't impress me much. I learned first on hand-held metering, since my first several cameras were very old (1940's and 1950's) and were ALL meter-free and all-mechanical. Argoflex TLR from 1940, 1954 Kodak Pony 135-B, Argus C3 from the early 50's, etc..

As far as the end of film: I think 35mm film loaded in cartridges will be around for a fairly long time, but I can envision the price of it going pretty high!

3. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At no point have I asked anyone to post pics. I have suggested seeing someone's negatives but this is only in discussion, in reality there is no expectation for it to happen. Plenty of members here who do not post pics, I've looked!

@terri correct, I am contemplating if I am a good fit here as well. Planned on changing my avatar as the camera was only a temp one till I came up with something else but yet it's still there. It's not about rile, it's about discussion. Anyhow, decision will be made very soon regarding my posting future here.

@Derrel F5 is a camera, it is others who dramatizing my need for this particular body. I want to use it for the reasons I stated. It was the camera I used during the most important part of my film life. Naturally it make sense it will be the camera I would wish to use again today does it not?
    As for it's lack of merits, we would simply be arguing as your opinion is very different to mine. Imo it's the best camera I have ever used and I've used quite a few.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well...if you like the F5, you'd love my favorite d-slr, the Nikon D3x. Best. Camera. Nikon. Has. Ever.Made. Not the best sensor, but the best camera!

I get it, you are fond of the F5. It was a flagship-level camera. And those have all been very high-end, capable machines, the ne plus ultra of their era of manufacture.

5. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    @Derrel Failed to mention, I can assure you people can't meter but again, people simply want to argue with no basis behind their argument. You are guessing, I am telling you from experience that I am right! lol

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D3X is my current digital body. Second best camera, F5 was better than D3X all things being equal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SoulfulRecover

SoulfulRecover Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Isn’t the d3 and the subsequent bodies the F5 with a digital sensor?

8. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    @Derrel Oh, N90s, have one of those too. Must agree for once on the sticky back, terrible. Camera itself was excellent. Probably the best feel in your hand camera I have ever owned. Much preferred over both F5 and D3X. Feel is just personal preference, everyones hands are different.

• Like Like x 1
  9. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, I believe you are right. F5 to D3 bodies, it's a very simple transition.

10. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You people can't meter? In what way?

11. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I don't think you have to retire the F5, but pick up a DSLR and give it a spin.

I sure miss some of my old film cameras, but I just have to pull out the DSLR and I forget about those cameras.

12. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Here we go again ...