did my first gig...

angelo_lightning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so I shot a family reunion.

1. I stupidly tried to do nothing but candid shots. Dont know what I was thinking. I was trying to be like an invisible ninja. I somehow thought that over the course of the day people would naturally hug and kiss and I'd get all the relationship shots I needed. I actually got most of them. But some people were camera shy. In the future I'm going to just stop people and be like... 'pose and hug'. Here, hold this poster that says, 'family' for a second while looking into eachothers eyes. Etc. So I dont have to rely solely on candid shots. When I was going through my pics I really wished that I could tell a 'story'. And it would have been awesome to have certain posed shots to punctuate the candid shots.

2. I did try and wrangle the people into group portrait shots at the end. But everyone was basically WASTED. Like trying to herd cats. Everyone's eyes and posture were super drunk and no one looked that good in the shots. The women had been swimming and didnt have on makeup, etc. And everyone was holding beers and margaritas. Basically... all of my shots have zillions of alcoholic beverages scattered in the background and in peoples hands. I thought about trying to photoshop it all out, but it literally would have taken a solid week just for that. So in the future Ill have to get group shots/portraits at the Beginning when people are sober, energized, calm, tractable, dressed, hair done, makeup on.

3. All of my amazing shots came using my 70-200mm/2.8/crop sensor. I used an 18-50mm indoors and when taking group shots, but the pictures were barely better than an iphone to be honest. the bokeh and the quality of the light on the longer lens made me feel like i gave those people professional pictures. In the future, I'm going to really focus harder on using the longer lens as much as possible.

4. I relied WAY too much on cropping and it screwed me. Instead of composing shots and filling the frame I just took a picture that had what I wanted within it. I was leery of getting too close to people and disturbing them. Later, my pictures basically ended up being lower resolution and less sharp because I cropped out like a chunk one fifth the size of the actual picture.

5. I had to reign in my artistic desire almost totally. The family insisted they wanted candid, true to life pictures. Every time I added too much of a rosy glow or photoshopped someone into a super model, the people i asked their opinion, seemed less than enthused. So I ended up mainly sharpening, highlighting, removing skin blemishes, and fixing exposure. I have yet to do a wedding, but maybe because it was a family reunion, they didnt want 'film look' or stuff like that. They wanted realistic. Candid.

6. I lost a lot of amazing pictures because my shutter speed was too slow. While taking the pictures I occasionally looked at them in the viewfinder. They looked sharp to me. So I'd take a zillion pictures and then adjust occasionally. But when I got home and fired them up in photoshop, to my dismay a lot of great shots were blurry. Or they would be sharp but a person would be clapping or waving their arm or something and it would be completely blurred out. So... in the future I'm just going to keep my shutter speed super high. With a full frame camera and better lenses I wouldn't have as much problem shotting indoors i think.

7. DANCING. OMG. I thought I was getting good pictures of people dancing. Instead I was getting motion blurs, and when it was sharp enough, people locked into agonized torturous poses. In the future I'm thinking I'll try and shoot dancing in burst mode? Try to pick my angles and moments better. Basically... I need to specifically practice shooting people while dancing to maximize the probability of getting decent shots. Because people are not professional dancers, so trying to get a good shot of them dancing is harder than I imagined.

8. Processing pictures takes way longer than i thought it would and I wanted to vomit by the time I had gone through 1200 pictures, organized them, picked out the best ones, processed them, made sure everyone was represented and in certain ratios, and put into a chronological and spatial order.

9. I vignetted a few pictures then I ended up basicaly doing some type of vignetting on all of them. I got like... trapped into it, because it looked weird only having it on some. And honestly... I didnt do that great a job at it. Before I felt a little vignetting and burning the edges of photographs really set them off, but after finishing and looking at the whole thing... it looked kind of tacky. Really have to figure this out in the future.

10. I struggled with cropping. When I was just doing photography for fun, I cropped pictures precisely how I wanted to. But since these pictures needed to be printable I tried to stick with standard crop sizes. 7x5, 8x10, etc. And I really felt a couple pictures suffered. Very frustrating.

11. So I bluffed my way through a job but it was low risk. They knew it was my first time and the idea of having a professional photographer was kind of an unexpected plus, so I wasnt in danger of ruining anyones life if I didnt get a perfect picture of a certain moment. Still not ready for a wedding or something like that. Think I'll take some classes, shoot some events around town, n try to get on as an assistant photographer before I charge someone thousands of dollars for a wedding.

Congrats on surviving your first gig. I got a bit of a chuckle when you mentioned how arduous it is trying to post process all those photos, I shot a couple of events myself as favors to friends and I remember thinking when it was finally done, I will never do this for a living. This sucks.

The first time I did any event I took over 1,000 photos.
Since then I normally take between 200-300 and many many more are keepers.
So you're on your way.

yes a FF will help in darker scenarios. But it really comes down to you have to understand what shutter speed and aperture you need for a shot and how the light - or lack thereof will affect it. One reason I use AUTO ISO then have a flash handy just in case.

Congratulations !!

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good learning experience.

I've done events and your description of what you did and how you did it doesn't sound like you're close to doing weddings etc. yet, it takes time. I agree - take classes! learn what to do.

Things happen fast at events and you've got to know what to do in a variety of situations. At least if you took pictures just of the reception just for fun it was a learning opportunity.

I go early, get pictures of tables decorated, etc. Go ahead of time to gauge lighting and camera settings and vantage points.

I don't do much post processing, I get mostly what I want in the frame. It takes framing and composing shots efficiently, takes leaning to be quick and accurate.

Learn and practice, practice - you could go to events in your area that allow attendees to bring in cameras and take pictures, and practice framing shots and timing and preparation, etc. etc.

It should be fun and you should love it enough to practice a lot and enjoy all the practice.

Thank you for the lengthy, complete, and HONEST review of how things went! Really valuable to hear this kind of stuff I think!

And there we have it, ladies and gentlemen: There is more to it than buying a camera and setting up a facebook page. Sounds like it was a good learning experience for you.

Totally agree, this should be shared on all the photo groups on FB for an honest look at what these events can entail.

This is amazing and so honest. I think it's great that you made it through your first experience and still want to keep pursuing it!

bandSinging7x5.jpg
chrisNSusanEmbrace5x7.jpg
forupload.jpg
ChloeNMiaTable7x5.jpg
chrisBlock7x5l.jpg
harmonicaGuy7x5y.jpg
JoleneFashion7x5.jpg
lindseyViolin5x7Portrait.jpg
LukeSideTwo5x7Portrait.jpg
mattAndDad7x5.jpg
mattDolphin7x5.jpg
willyBrycePortrait5x7.jpg
steveDrivingCrazy5x7.jpg
mattSleeping7x5.jpg
miaSculpture7x5.jpg

What gives??? I thought you said everything sucked? these are actually pretty wonderful moments--and as the years go by these will start looking better and better and better. Regular People will like these!!! Hell...I like some of these! And I don't even KNOW these peeps!

Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback! Yeah, I got enough decent shots with my long lens to be satisfied with my performance. I just didn't get any good posed group photos. And those are the ones everyone was clamoring for after it was all over. So I felt kinda guilty/bad. But... on to the next one.

Most reactions

Back