Direct Mail Catalog - SLR or regular Digital camera?

GoodFella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am putting together a Direct Mail Catalog that features luxury car products. I want to take some custom images of products and actual cars.

I am extremely new to photography but pick things up fast.

My first question is, would I be fine with a regular basic Digital Camera or do I need to step up and buy a more expensive Digital SLR Camera?

It seems these days that the regular digital cameras have up to 12 Mega Pixels! The last digital camera I bought was a 2.0 MP about 6 years ago.

The images I take need to be great quality and 300 DPI.

Any input is very appreciated.

Thank you,
Marc

Marc,

The more important considerations are the lens, the lighting.

The gear (lens/lighting) you need to shoot a luxury pair of driving gloves, is different from the gear (lens/lighting) you'll need to shoot a car.

Marc,

The more important considerations are the lens, the lighting.

The gear (lens/lighting) you need to shoot a luxury pair of driving gloves, is different from the gear (lens/lighting) you'll need to shoot a car.

ok ... With the understanding I want to start taking various types of high quality images of different objects (a glove and car), I should probably go with an SLR that can swap lenses? Can I rule out a regular small Digital Camera?

Hello,

I am putting together a Direct Mail Catalog that features luxury car products. I want to take some custom images of products and actual cars.

I am extremely new to photography but pick things up fast.

My first question is, would I be fine with a regular basic Digital Camera or do I need to step up and buy a more expensive Digital SLR Camera?

It seems these days that the regular digital cameras have up to 12 Mega Pixels! The last digital camera I bought was a 2.0 MP about 6 years ago.

The images I take need to be great quality and 300 DPI.

Any input is very appreciated.

Thank you,
Marc

The situation you're in would probably best be handled by a professional commercial photographer. If the images need to be great quality, and you're using great quality in the normal context, as in great images that actually stand out against the majority of images seen today,everywhere, no matter how fast you "pick things up", you're still one,two,three,or even four decades behind tens of thousands of experienced commercial professional shooters located all across the USA.

Maybe that's not the answer you're looking for. So, to answer your question in the desired,cexpected way, yes, you need to spring for the extra few dollars it will take to pay for a digital SLR.

The situation you're in would probably best be handled by a professional commercial photographer. If the images need to be great quality, and you're using great quality in the normal context, as in great images that actually stand out against the majority of images seen today,everywhere, no matter how fast you "pick things up", you're still one,two,three,or even four decades behind tens of thousands of experienced commercial professional shooters located all across the USA.

Maybe that's not the answer you're looking for. So, to answer your question in the desired,cexpected way, yes, you need to spring for the extra few dollars it will take to pay for a digital SLR.

Thank you for you input.

I am not looking for absolute perfection. I just want good quality images that do not look like they were hacked together. I do not absolute perfection. Also, I plan on doing this alot. It would be great if I could get to the point where I was taking the photography myself and was reasonably happy with the results.

How much do photographers usually charge?

Contact a couple of your local professional product photographers and ask them. Rates vary somewhat by the photographer and geographically.

You didn't bother to complete the profile section so your location is not shown.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back