do i need a filter?

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've read some things and they say something about UV filters just for protection on the lense. I deffinetly want my lense protected, but I dont' want to spend alot of money right now. Just something to go over the lense so I don't scratch it or anything. It is still just the kit lense with the Nikon D40 so eventually, with a better lense I will get better filters, but what about just something for now? Where to get it, how much...ect ect thanks

I just bought a cheap UV filter to keep me from scratching the lens. It is probably easier to clean fingerprints off of the filter also. I think I paid around $7 for it. A lot of people use a lens hood instead.

I just bought a cheap UV filter to keep me from scratching the lens. It is probably easier to clean fingerprints off of the filter also. I think I paid around $7 for it. A lot of people use a lens hood instead.

i don't think a people would replace the use of a filter with a lens hood, seeing as a lens hood is used to reduce flare not necessarily to protect the glass

Most professionals won't advocate the use of a UV filter for lens protection. It degrades image quality too much... You spend $1600 on a lens and then put a $20 piece of glass in front of it? The reason the lens is so expensive is all the precision optics.

A hood is a great way to protect a lens.

This is always a hotly debated topic. But, filters do degrade image quality. You invest in expensive glass for the image quality. Make sense? I'm sure pros take some comfort in having their gear insured. But, a hood is still great protection that doesn't degrade image quality - in fact it can help quite a bit.

cool. Where did you get it for 7 dollars? thanks for link as well. I will deffinetly get one. I didn't realize teh risk of scratching, but I'm glad I do now. I'm also glad that I've only taken it out once.

I bought mine from Amazon. But would probably buy from either Adorama or B&H Photo since they support this forum. I really don't think that the filter will degrade the kit lens enough to be noticable. If you do end up buying a $1,000 lens in the future, I believe a lens hood is the way to go.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100830 Just note that cheap filters do very noticeably affect image quality. If you use a cheap filter for protection, take it off when you go to take the shot if you can.

I personally haven't noticed a change in image quality with this particular UV filter with my kit lens. I do agree with what you are saying though, the more glass you put at the end of your lens, the more it has to degrade somewhat. So yeah, taking it off before taking serious shots might be a good idea.

darkpbstar, just be careful not to screw it on too tight, and do not squeeze it very hard when taking it off since they are somewhat fragile.

I'll jump in with my 'don't buy cheap' vote! Don't forget that there's always used! A good part of my kit has been bought at the used counter; nothing wrong with it, and for things like filters, the savings can be substantial. I always advocate the use of a skylight or UV filter on the lens. The main reason(s) as already stated are to protect the front element and make it easier to clean. I've done some fairly careful testing, and have not been able to detect any noticable image degradation with the UV filters on my lenses.

thanks tirediron, caspertodd and the rest. I am going to get one for sure. I will see if I can tell a difference in the one I get, because I don't know that I would want to take it off before every picture. Hopefully it wont affect the picture too much, since many on the forums have said it is unnoticable. thanks alot, on both sides of the argument

Spend some good cash on a UV filter and keep it on... Many have reported problems with cheap filters. I have a set of very good quality filters on my lenses and see no problems.

I shoot with primes and switch lenses often. Front and rear caps are a royal pain and are only used during transit/storage. While on the go, I have lens pouches that protect the capless lenses inside. I don't even bother using caps when they are mounted to the camera.

Spend some good cash on a UV filter and keep it on... Many have reported problems with cheap filters. I have a set of very good quality filters on my lenses and see no problems.

I shoot with primes and switch lenses often. Front and rear caps are a royal pain and are only used during transit/storage. While on the go, I have lens pouches that protect the capless lenses inside. I don't even bother using caps when they are mounted to the camera.

In my opinion, although you generaly get what you pay for, good cash doesn't equal good filter. I've had very good luck so far with the Tiffen UV filter I have. I really need to gather up some before and after shots with the filter. It may just be that I am using the kit lens rather than a high quality one.

do i need a filter?
I've read some things and they say something about UV filters just for protection on the lense. I deffinetly want my lense protected, but I dont' want to spend alot of money right now. Just something to go over the lense so I don't scratch it or anything.

No, for protection you don't need a filter, you need a lens cap.
FYI: lens caps were specifically designed to protect lens's front elements! Filters – any filters – never were.

Don't hammer in nails with a screwdriver! Use the appropriate tool for the task at hand.

In my opinion, although you generaly get what you pay for, good cash doesn't equal good filter.

The same can be said for almost any product.. there are always exceptions to the rule which are wonderful bang for the buck bargains. In general (and you said it), you get what you pay for.

I've had good results from B+W and Heliopan.

Most reactions

Back