Do these look like they were shot with film?

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend Jonathan likes to make his own Christmas card each year. It is more personal I think. Anyway, I am trying to edit them to make them look like it was taken with film. How did I do?

p210423845-4.jpg

p165055667-4.jpg

p457475-4.jpg

p2661813-4.jpg

Here is one attempt to make it look like colored film
p116207907-4.jpg

UPDATE:

Ok here it is:
_MG_3256.jpg

SOOC, no adjustment

_MG_3256-2.jpg

B&W using B&W button on LR, no adjustment

_MG_3256-3.jpg

Kodak T-Max 3200

_MG_3256-4.jpg

Kodak Potra 800

_MG_3256-5.jpg

Fuji 800Z

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're after an 'older' look? If so than i think these have missed, not because of any fault in processing (Really, it should be virtually impossible to determine whether a good monochrome print started out as a digital file or a negative), but rather because of all the little modern hints. The hammer with a fibreglass handle, aluminum gutters and downspouts, the aluminum ladder plastered with warning decals, the thermo-pane style windows, asphalt shingles, etc. Again, assuming my thought is correct, I would choose #2 as the most suitable. Nice series though.

Nice work! They do have a very film-y feel to them, and the black and white processing works well. I would have cropped a bit more on the right side of the last photo, but I like the leading line into the image. You have more snow than we do.

Was it scary being perched on the roof?

Edit: Upon reading John's comments, I agree with the content of the photos not being antique. However, I thought you were just processing them to look like film. I didn't get the impression you were going for a vintage era feel, just that your friend dresses like he shops from the LL Bean Signature collection.

Yeah John. Not sure where to find older tools. We wanted 1970 feel. Once he picks which photo to use, I will do more photoshopping.

These were done with VSCO plugin for LR. $120. Pretty good investment I think.

Yeah John. Not sure where to find older tools. We wanted 1970 feel. Once he picks which photo to use, I will do more photoshopping.
Check out Salvation Army. For 1970s, you should be going for that bright, slightly desaturated C135 processed colour look!

If you want these to look like 35mm film from the 1970's, you need to add some obvious film grain to the images. The large, plain side of the white house..if that had been shot on film, we'd likely see some grain there. Same with the sky in that frame...too smooth, no grain,looks digital. In another vein, the tonality looks very "digital"...these look digital. Low noise, smooth broad areas with NO visible grain, and compressed tonal range. Film images that were shot on ASA 125 to 400 B&W film and developed in almost anything, anything at ALL,would show grain in the sky,and on larger, smooth-toned expanses.

If you want these to look like 35mm film from the 1970's, you need to add some obvious film grain to the images. The large, plain side of the white house..if that had been shot on film, we'd likely see some grain there. Same with the sky in that frame...too smooth, no grain,looks digital. In another vein, the tonality looks very "digital"...these look digital. Low noise, smooth broad areas with NO visible grain, and compressed tonal range. Film images that were shot on ASA 125 to 400 B&W film and developed in almost anything, anything at ALL,would show grain in the sky,and on larger, smooth-toned expanses.
That sums my thoughts up pretty well. You're better at putting it into words than I am, lol.

They all look "too clean" to me.

I shoot film pretty much exclusively, and these don't look like "film" to me. They could be film, but not 35mm 400 ISO. Medium format maybe, but not 35mm.

Most reactions

Back