Do what I say not what I do. lol

Wow. Now where did I get that other link that just show your photos of birds and a few animals? I'm not really interested in portraits, so I'll leave you to it.

I'd write that up as a success! It might be worth having a small part of one wall, or better yet, a bound portfolio of your other work, so that when potential customers come through, you can show them nice prints (and hopefully sell them big prints at a fat mark-up). Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing the cost of the booth?

I'd write that up as a success! It might be worth having a small part of one wall, or better yet, a bound portfolio of your other work, so that when potential customers come through, you can show them nice prints (and hopefully sell them big prints at a fat mark-up). Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing the cost of the booth?

We're going to change up the layout a little with adding in some portraits (Human and dog) as well as I will have an iPad there with a bunch of photos on it as well.

The booth was free for the weekend but the market rents an 8' booth for $400 a month with a 2 month minimum. This is a double booth ($800) and since photography falls under crafts there is a discount ($355 vs $400 per 8'). So instead of a $1600 minimum I will pay $1420.
Normally I would think this is overpriced but right before the holidays and this year those two months give me 9 weekends it isn't that bad considering in Nov/Dec a lot of venues here charge $650 for one weekend.

Doesn't seem a bad price, especially since I'm guessing that it's only going to start getting busier and busier as we get closer to Christmas!

Did you get a rough tally of the foot traffic? Not just those that stopped, but overall? It would be interesting to see how that compares to mid-December. FWIW, I think your turnover rate is pretty respectable.

Awesome experiment and kudos for putting your work out there. I do have a couple thoughts as far as retail strategy. My uneducated guess is that it would serve well to display as many products - other than framed prints - as possible. I just don't think that many people decorate their homes with framed photographs - wildlife or otherwise. When I'm in other people's homes, the only photos I usually see are family photos. Calendars seem like a good idea, but attach a place to them "The Stunning Raptors of Ontario". The metal print or a canvas print is more of a "decorator piece" than a framed print, IMO. A mug with an awesome owl on it might sell more often than a print of an owl. Only my guess. And if you also print "Ontario" on it, the print or the mug, it might sell even better. Greeting cards. Coffee table books. Garments.

Best luck and it is really interesting to follow along with your experience in retail!

Did you get a rough tally of the foot traffic? Not just those that stopped, but overall? It would be interesting to see how that compares to mid-December. FWIW, I think your turnover rate is pretty respectable.
Total foot traffic that passed my area was about 50-100 per hour on Saturday and about half of that on Sunday.

Awesome experiment and kudos for putting your work out there. I do have a couple thoughts as far as retail strategy. My uneducated guess is that it would serve well to display as many products - other than framed prints - as possible. I just don't think that many people decorate their homes with framed photographs - wildlife or otherwise. When I'm in other people's homes, the only photos I usually see are family photos. Calendars seem like a good idea, but attach a place to them "The Stunning Raptors of Ontario". The metal print or a canvas print is more of a "decorator piece" than a framed print, IMO. A mug with an awesome owl on it might sell more often than a print of an owl. Only my guess. And if you also print "Ontario" on it, the print or the mug, it might sell even better. Greeting cards. Coffee table books. Garments.

Best luck and it is really interesting to follow along with your experience in retail!

I agree that mugs and trinkets sell more than prints. The 400 Market would not consider these in the same product category and the rent would be full price. More important this would not be valuable information for me as my final goal is not to be a vendor but an event coordinator for an Artist market.

Also...who are these boring peoples houses you go into. Get rid of them. Nobody needs that kind of negativity in their life. :allteeth:

I wish you luck in any kind of selling, business, or cooperation with someone... Wildlife photography is special, you have to love it to do it, and the animals and nature too... it´s just a wonderful thing to do and to show others the beauty of wildlife. I hang my own wildlife pictures on my wall as a decoration, for me, it is not just a picture of an animal, it is a memory of "that" harsh environment, or "that" cold winter...

Most reactions

Back