Do you charge for scouting or client meetings?

RandallMario

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, new here. I recently took on one of my first commercial freelance jobs, and I quoted the job based on a day rate for the time the client requested me to shoot (7 hours). After I sent them a quote, they accepted, and then asked me to come scout the location with them. The scouting trip took 3 hours. I am wondering if I should be charging additional fee for scouting trips, or if that should be rolled into my day-rate quote? Thank you in advance.

Three hours scouting? Absolutely you should be charging for that. I don't normally charge for telephone time (unless there's a LOT of it), and if scouting is <30 minutes and doesn't take me out of my way, then I usually don't charge, but three hours? That's a lot of money.

I am wondering if I should be charging additional fee for scouting trips, or if that should be rolled into my day-rate quote?
I think it should be a separate item in the contract. The reason being is that some jobs might require a scouting/planning trip, and some other jobs will not. Separate line item. Spelled out clearly, with times, expenses, and payment.

Three hours?? That shows a lack of knowledge and experience. I'd have to wonder if the client picked up on that, or maybe they're a small business and unfamiliar with pricing etc. themselves.

Get on American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or try PPA and look up how to do pricing and contracts, etc. ASMP has a 'paperwork' share where you can see actual photographer's invoice information (without specific client info.), mostly for commercial work. ASMP also does webinars and there are books available etc. - you need to learn about how to do this before you get any further along.

Most reactions

Back