do you think it is professional to wear tennis shoes when shooting weddings?

gagey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
everytime i try a new pair of shoes my feet are killing me and i feel like when i get to the reception it is hard to keep squatting down to do the picutres if i wear heals and I really need to find something that allows me to continue to get the angles that i want to get with out killing my feet and legs. I bought some dark grey nike shox to wear at wedddings but i hope people wont think it is unprofessional. what do you think?

I suppose it depends on the rest of your clothing. Personally, it's not an option that I would chose - have you thought of going to a real shoe store (Not a big-box store that happens to sell shoes) and seeing what they have in a more formal looking comfortable shoe? There are lots of them out there.

I am usually wearing dark grey or black pants and a grey or black dressy shirt. I try to wear dark colors that are neutral. I just feel no matter what I try they all kill my feet or give me blisters. I really dont htink no matter what type of dress shoes I wear are going to work for me.

I usually just end up wearing black flats.. Comfortable enough to run around in, and still look somewhat dressy.

Black tennis shoes that have no laces (not velcro, they're more like slip on). Only if you look real close can you tell their not dress shoes. My fiance got them for me before I wouldn't stop wearing my white tennis shoes every where.

I wore a pair of flats and they gave me blisters maybe if I founfd a different type that i wore would work..idk..but the only thing i cant wear them with pants I am super short and need something that is higher than flats with my pants but I can wear them with capris so the summer weddings those might be ok if i can find some that dont give me blisters..lol..but i have to have something different for my pants.

I've been to a wedding where the tog wore sneakers with his tux. It was way before I got into photography but I remember thinking he's prolly putting some serious miles on those dogs and wants comfy shoes. He looked perfectly natural while he was carrying his gear, but I saw him later without it and it completely changed the perceptions. If you're wearing a dress it will be a different story. Got one that covers your feet? ;)

I'll second the go to a real shoe store. And don't go right from the store to the shoot either. Wear them for a few days first.

Check out the shoes on the feet of waitstaff at your favorite nicer restaurant - they have to wear decent-looking black shoes most likely and they will be comfortable choices. Ask where they got them.

I prefer a nice flip-flop type sandal myself...none of those stuffy tennis shoes...if the guests can't see toenails, well, then they are not getting their money's worth.

who looks at the photographer ;)

I'd wear a pair of comfortable Rockports or loafers

Black tennis shoes that have no laces (not velcro, they're more like slip on). Only if you look real close can you tell their not dress shoes. My fiance got them for me before I wouldn't stop wearing my white tennis shoes every where.
bingo. I wear mens dress shoes, but if i wore solid black slip on type shoes, it would totally be ok too. So long as you're wearing black socks, of course.

Look into vibram shoes. My dad started wearing them when he had some foot problems and was very happy with them.

Look at it in two ways - the Bride and Groom are paying a fee to have you attend their wedding and take the photos. This requires that you appear on the day in a suitable dress code for the event, which is normally a very smart event.

On the other side you are a tradeworker doing your work on the day so you've got to be dressed in a fashion which allows you to perform your paid work to a high standard; long term this also requires that your attire not result in injuring yourself though the event or through multiple events (not just for your own health, but also because if you're in pain you're going to be distracted and your work not as good).

Also remember you're already standing there with a big camera, lens (maybe several); a flash; cables; bags; and more so you're already standing out from the crowed a little. Heck many photographers will wear a photographers vest (light coloured, but black can also be found) with lenses, flash, batteries, cards etc.... in the various pockets to help them remain mobile. So personally I think you shouldn't worry too much about making yourself fit perfectly in with the crowed, but allow your dress code to adapt to your shooting needs - if that means getting a smart pair of trainer/gym type shoes in black then so be it. If anyone ever questions simply point out that it is part of your working clothing.

Most reactions

Back