Do you use raw or dng?

Do you use raw or dng?

• Total voters
I don't think anybody else here is confused about the meaning of the word RAW in this context. For clarity, the reader should refer to the OP's second post...

Usayit, in the context of preserving intellectual property, it stands to reason that the raw file should be encrypted. It is common and to some extend necessary in every industry to protect your know how.

I see this as a fact of doing business.

As for the bottom line, I'm pretty sure Nikon, Canon etc are in the business of making camera. A successful company needs to be profitable to survive. Doesn't mean it's in it just for the money.

I don't think anybody else here is confused about the meaning of the word RAW in this context. For clarity, the reader should refer to the OP's second post...
How do I answer the poll if I own, for instance, a Leica M8, which uses DNG files as its RAW format, in camera?

Note that DNG is not just one novelty option. It IS the raw format of that camera.

How do I answer the poll if I own, for instance, a Leica M8, which uses DNG files as its RAW format, in camera?

Note that DNG is not just one novelty option. It IS the raw format of that camera.

Again, read the OP's second post.

You said it yourself. DNG is a RAW format and in the case of the Leica it is straight from the camera. So you do not convert it to DNG.

In the context if this poll -Answer: RAW

You are lucky you don't have a positronic brain. That poll would have locked you up and melted a few circuit. Such complicated questions...

It is ridiculous at face value to answer "RAW" when my raw is a DNG file and the other option on the poll is DNG. That yields confusing, ambiguous, and thus meaningless data.

Also, that doesn't even match tecboy's post that you so religiously adhere to. Which was:
Ok. Let me state very clearly. Do you use proprietary raw format straight from your camera manufacture or convert your raw files to Adobe dng format?

DNG is not Leica's proprietary format. Nor does one convert them to DNG, since they started out that way.

DNG is Adobe's proprietary format, being used by Leica as a native RAW format (and many other manufacturers, notably Pentax, Casio, and Samsung)

Thus, neither of tecboy's two options apply in this situation. Nor in the situation of owners of probably by now well over 50 other cameras on the market. Including a number of DSLRs and profesionally-oriented mirrorless cameras.

My point is that the whole thread is based on the incorrect assumption that DNG is just a format you convert to out of camera and that is only used by Adobe. It's not. It is increasingly the in-camera option in the first place and supported by many other companies, as well as being an option in countless image editing programs not made by Adobe, which makes the whole question/topic irrelevant.

Last edited:
PS> 480Sparky.. We went through this already and its obvious were you stand evwhen presented with facts that you cannot counter with any certainty. IIRC, much of your opinion is formed around "what ifs". So I will not respond becuase the last time we went through this you simply ignored my responses and repeated different what-ifs. I deal with "what ifs" all the time and they cost people valuable data.

Everyone else is proferring all the 'what ifs'......What if Nikon quits supporting NEF? What if Canon ceases support for CR2? What if you cannot read such-and-such format in ten years?

I quit responding because I end up stating the same thing ovet and over when it appears no one is reading my posts.

So why keep reiterating the same facts over and over because some here can't accept them?

What if the earth is hit by a giant EMP wave taking out all electronic capabilities rendering any camera except the strictly mechanical ones useless? What then?

So why keep reiterating the same facts over and over because some here can't accept them?

I was responding... over and over... answered all your whatif's.. Ending with the statement that NOTHING is 100% guaranteed and following up with an openly document format is merely bettering your chances. What was your response?.... another "what-if".

What's that I hear in the background treading this way? I believe it may be Terri with another padlock.

It is ridiculous at face value to answer "RAW" when my raw is a DNG file and the other option on the poll is DNG. That yields confusing, ambiguous, and thus meaningless data.

Also, that doesn't even match tecboy's post that you so religiously adhere to. Which was:
Ok. Let me state very clearly. Do you use proprietary raw format straight from your camera manufacture or convert your raw files to Adobe dng format?

DNG is not Leica's proprietary format. Nor does one convert them to DNG, since they started out that way.

DNG is Adobe's proprietary format, being used by Leica as a native RAW format (and many other manufacturers, notably Pentax, Casio, and Samsung)

Thus, neither of tecboy's two options apply in this situation. Nor in the situation of owners of probably by now well over 50 other cameras on the market. Including a number of DSLRs and profesionally-oriented mirrorless cameras.

My point is that the whole thread is based on the incorrect assumption that DNG is just a format you convert to out of camera and that is only used by Adobe. It's not. It is increasingly the in-camera option in the first place and supported by many other companies, as well as being an option in countless image editing programs not made by Adobe, which makes the whole question/topic irrelevant.

If the question doesn't apply to your camera, don't answer.

That option is always available.

I was responding... over and over... answered all your whatif's.. Ending with the statement that NOTHING is 100% guaranteed and following up with an openly document format is merely bettering your chances. What was your response?.... another "what-if".

What if you could get your DeLorean up to 88MPH and tell the future? Perhaps you could inform the rest of us dolts what will happen.

Only five pages?! Pfft.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back