Do you wear glasses?

andrew99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ajwalker.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just a stupid beginners observation: Wearing glasses is really annoying for photography!! I wear glasses 95% of the time (I have contacts, but I'm too lazy to bother with them most of the time). I noticed with the glasses, it's difficult to see into the viewfinder properly, you just can't get close enough. I tried using the camera with contacts instead, and it was much easier to frame my pictures because I could then see everything in the viewfinder.

I've played with the slider next to the viewfinder, but no luck there. I guess my eyesight is too bad to be able to use the camera without corrective lenses (either glasses or contacts). Funny story -- I was testing this without my glasses, then I forgot to put my glasses back on and thought the auto-focus on my camera was broken. After a few seconds, I realized what I did, put the glasses back on and confirmed the auto-focus did still work! :lmao: Talk about embarrassing moments!

Anyway, I think I'll have to get past my laziness issue and start wearing the contacts more! :)

Funny story -- I was testing this without my glasses, then I forgot to put my glasses back on and thought the auto-focus on my camera was broken. After a few seconds, I realized what I did, put the glasses back on and confirmed the auto-focus did still work! :lmao: Talk about embarrassing moments!

Too funny! :) I never shoot with my glasses on - always with my contacts. It's just easier.

I shoot with my glasses on all the time. (My eyes aren't too bad...yet).

I did try taking them off and using the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder...but I found that it was inconvenient because then I had to put my glasses back on when I lowered the camera.

i shoot with my glasses on... most of the time...

but as mike said.. my eye sight isn't that bad... i could shoot with them off if i wanted...

Depending on the camera I think you can get different eyepieces that'll work better if you wear glasses. I don't have any trouble with my D80 + glasses so I've never bothered with these.

I shoot with my glasses on all the time. (My eyes aren't too bad...yet).

I did try taking them off and using the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder...but I found that it was inconvenient because then I had to put my glasses back on when I lowered the camera.

I'm the same as you Mike, except my vision is probably worse than yours. But when I first got my glasses I found it way too annoying to keep taking them off an on while I was shooting, so I just taught myself to shoot while wearing them all the time.

Eventually you get used to it.

I can see through the viewfinder without a problem with my glasses but I find they fog up which is annoying.

What does the diopter adjuster do? I just find it makes things blurrier.

i will need glasses soon, i can see it coming..

for now, i also have a funny story about cameras..

i took a couple of photos and when put them into the computer and looked at them i thought "oh man, there's loads of dust in the camera".....then after a few minutes of worrying like an idiot i noticed those specs were on my computer monitor

Last year while trying to take pictures in a moving car my view finder scratched my glasses quite bad, the nice lady who sold me my glasses put a new lens in free of charge as I had them less than a month!

I have just ordered some more contacts though im so vain, if i go out anywhere in the evenings or if i know i might end up in a picture, I always wear contacts!

In the last 6 years my eyes have changed form -.075 to -4.75 with slight astigmatism, and my night vision has always sucked I started off needing them for driving now i need them for everything. :(

I wear my glasses while shooting and do fine. It does kinda get in the way but it doesn't cause any real difficulty. My camera also has a padded eyepiece so it doesn't scratch up my glasses.

Now my question....do you keep both eyes open when you shoot or do you close which ever one you're not looking thru the view finder thru. I've always closed my other eye but after a long shoot it tends to get tiring. I've tried keeping both eyes open but it just doesn't seem natural when I shoot.

Today I picked up a new eyepiece directly from Nikon. I would always adjust the diopter so I could shoot without wearing my glasses. When I got my D300 the diopter adjust could not adjust far enough to correct my vision.

Diopter values I suppose are like lens perscriptions. People who need glasses or contacts actually have a diopter value for their personal vision.

According to the user manual for the D300 the diopter adjustment will adjust between -2(near sighted) to +1(far sighted) The -2 wasn't enought for me so I went with a -4 slide-on corrective eyepiece. Now I can shoot without glasses again.

Just an idea for those of you who do not like shooting with glasses on. The US Nikon website sells these eyepieces right from their site. Around $20.

I wear glasses when shooting and hates it. I always get my glasses smudge having rub against the viewfinder. To top it off, I can't aim with my right eyes, so my whole face is behind the camera.

Anyway, I think I'll have to get past my laziness issue and start wearing the contacts more! :)
I needed and started wearing glasses in 3rd grade. It wasn't until I was 32 when I finally tried contacts. Holy smokes, I can't believe I waited that long to get contacts! I though.

I find it weird that you have contacts, but are "too lazy" to bother with them. I literally can't handle the first half hour of my day that I have my glasses on before I put the contacts in (5:30 am). I take them out around 9 pm because they are dried out from work, but I despise the last 2 hours of the day that I wear the glasses and they drive me crazy.

There have been a few times I've gone outside after 9 pm when I had my glasses on (read moon shots, especially the eclipse the other night, but had a tripod and used the screen instead of eyepiece.) I don't think I could use the eyeviewer if I wore glasses all the time rather than the contacts. That is indeed a PITA and a hassle.

my eyes are so bad i can`t find my camera without my glasses on. thank goodness my camera has a big enough view screen on the back, other wise i wouldn`t know what i was shooting.

I have to wear my glasses, it's why I abuse my tripod so badly. With out them I can not see my meter needle but yet with them the meter needle is obstructed so I have to look into it side to side to not only compose but see the meter, I am constantly squirming around behing the camera to see.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back