Does Nikon have an equal to Canon's G9?

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The closest I've been able to find is the P80. The specs I've seen so far doesn't indicate if it shoots RAW. Oh, it will go up to ISO 6400 at 3MP or lower resolution. :thumbdown:

I'm interested in a good P&S to carry around in my pocket, take good photos without having to drag out all the big guns. It seems I heard rumors of a competitor to the G9, but I was......, umm, tired and confused when I came across the inference.

BTW, check this out on the G9.

Another reason to have a P&S in the arsenal.

i bought a P&S for my dad and wanted to stick with nikon but couldn't find any stellar reviews on their point/shooters..... ended up getting him the lumix fz18 instead...

Edit: just saw you wanted a pocket cam so forget the above

I don't know if G9 is kind of pocket camera, I think if you ware work overall maybe. But yeah nikon does not have the equivalent of it, piety. I was close of buying it before I read about D40.

I haven't read up on the G9 specs recently but when I was researching the Nikon P50 and P60 (which are predecessors to the P80 and pocketable ones at that) they were often compared to the G9. I ruled out the G9 (and P60 for that matter) due to their lack of wide angle lens. I think they both (P50 and P60) can shoot in RAW though. I'm too lazy to go back and check for you though :greenpbl: :lol:. The P80 doesn't look like a pocketable camera by the way :scratch:.

I believe the closest is the P5100. I don't believe it shoots raw, but it has a hot shoe and is approximately the same price.

Okay, maybe pocket was the wrong word to use. I'm not 22 years old and now in hindsight, I guess the term pocket refers to ultra slim that is thinner than my wallet. I wear relaxed fit jeans and trousers, much more comfortable and yes, the belt does rest above my buttocks.

I meant something that can be easly carried around. If I have a jacket on, it will easily slide inside, if I carry a day pack, it doesn't fill the bastard up.

The P80 still wouldn't fit in a normal jacket pocket, even in the big zippered pockets or protruding pockets with the flap. The zoom lens takes up a lot of space. The P5100 probably could fit in a jeans pocket as long as it's loose fitting and nothing else is in there, just based on me looking at them.

My wife owns the P5100, and it is very compact. No RAW, but it takes excellent pictures when used with the auto ISO and high resolution settings. Like the G9, it has a hot shoe, and is about $100 cheaper with a spare battery.

I've been eyeballing the G9 for awhile now....

There is a very limited market for P&S that cost as much as a dSLR. I think that its just the G9, and the Sigma sd1. The G9 has a zoom and optical viewfinder, the sigma has a fixed 28mm equiv. lens, and an APS-C sensor(Sweet!), But its $150 extra for the optical viewfinder that mounts on the hot shoe. I Really wish that sigma would made it a real rangefinder.

there are also rumors of large sensor P&S cameras from canon, before photokina. Who knows?

I'm hearing that the Ricoh GR DII is the G9 competitor . It shoots RAW in DNG format (yes!!), is smaller, and costs a little less than the G9 - street price. The Japanese are eating it up anyway...

Most reactions

Back