Does this DoF work in this image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jeremy!

Rex, so you don't like the focus placed on the middle 3, and it would be better on the foreground bulbs?

It wouldn't bother me as much if the OOF bulb wasn't so large in the frame, and feels like it's encroaching on the space of the other bulbs. It kind of makes me feel like I'm having to look through the bulb to see the scene.

So, Blackrose thinks this was random, and not deliberate. Ok.

Why do all bulbs have to be in focus?

That's what impresses me about the image. You targeted a window of DOF. Something that happens in every photo, but to employ it with a purpose? I think that's cool.

Eric there's also that thing where westerners are uncomfortable with foreground blur.

Also smaller apertures yield that diffraction starburst, which I think is just right here.

Thanks Jeremy!

Rex, so you don't like the focus placed on the middle 3, and it would be better on the foreground bulbs?

It wouldn't bother me as much if the OOF bulb wasn't so large in the frame, and feels like it's encroaching on the space of the other bulbs. It kind of makes me feel like I'm having to look through the bulb to see the scene.

Entirely appropriate if it is meant to be social commentary.... and would have been even more significant that large intruding bulb was dimmer than the rest... but that would be getting a bit too obvious. And then again, I could be interpreting this incorrectly too.....

Because bitter, the bulbs are the main subject.To target the depth of field between the first bulb and the last bulb takes away from the viewers sense of perception.

The image itself is quite simple which I think is
Reminiscent of early photography. Also the
Old lights really lend to the message behind this
Lovely image.
Leaning slightly to the right, the photograph

Handles the motion with
Acute grace; making the scene
Really stand out in my mind.
Do you mind telling me the site you used to host it? It kept the
Exif data which is also really helpful.
Really like to know, thanks.

Because bitter, the bulbs are the main subject.To target the depth of field between the first bulb and the last bulb takes away from the viewers sense of perception.

Gipson are you behind this?
How is she coming up with this stuff if you're not?

Rose you gotta quit picking on Bitter.

So the end all, be all, is to have all the bulbs in focus?

I dunno, seems a rather formulaic and simplistic view.

That's what impresses me about the image. You targeted a window of DOF. Something that happens in every photo, but to employ it with a purpose? I think that's cool.

There should be purpose in every shot..........:sexywink:

LightSpeed, she's not picking. She's challenging my view and I am challenging hers. Isn't that why we are all here, in the beginners forum? To learn from each other with healthy debate?

Tyler, Flickr.

Ok Bitter, let me ask you this. Is this something you would get printed and hang on your wall? Or expect anyone else to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back