Does this DoF work in this image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing bugging me is the front bulb overlapping one of the other bulbs cord and one of the in focus bulbs being tilted and blocked by another one. Just me though. My mind wants them all to hang individually.

Did someone say something about this going against social norm? I didn't know it was against social norm to use the DOF you want to.

Yes, if I had a space for it.
But I may hang work in a different way than you.

If my dining room were different, I'd print this LARGE and put it on the wall at the end of the table, and I would hang similar bare bulb fixtures above the table. I mean, cant you just see it? The bulbs in focus could appear to be similar in size to my actual lights, and then there's that big OOF one just to **** with you. :)
I could also design and decorate a bathroom living room, kitchen, or bar around that image.

I like art to fit a space, not just fill space on a wall.

Ummm, I'm not in any corner. But if you need me to be, so be it.

You were asked a direct question. Which usually requires a direct answer.
You danced all around it. Came up with an excuse about having room, which had nothing to do with the question.
Now before I continue, I want you to know that I know, why you and Mishele went off tonight.
I don't post to beginners to offend anyone. I don't do it to be mean or nasty. I'm just here to have a good time with people who have common interests be they beginners or pro's.
I'm not trying to start a shytstorm here. I'm justa guy with a camera having a good time.
I don't mean to offend anyone. I don't expect everyone to be like me and I have enough haters.
When you're as good looking as me, that happens.
Sad but true. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Now, when you get ready to have this image printed let me know..........I'll charge you half what anyone does ( this is where you stepped in it) mount on anything you want, any size you want.
But we both know that aint gonna happen.

BlackRose........she had nothing to do with it.
All the questions were mine.
The critique.....mine.

The printing question.......mine.
All she did was ask me how...........and I told her.
You see, she's only a beginner. Much like me.

You guys can blame me for everything she typed in here. All of it.
Mine.

I wasn't gonna let her take a beating because we're buddies, and that's what buddies do.
The rest of the stuff she's typed had nothing to do with me............but this did.

Am I proud of myself? Nah, I'm just a guy with a camera having a good time. Usually at my own expense.
I mean no harm to anyone here. Maybe I've discredited myself here with this, but that's ok with me.
I can handle it. Maybe make another comeback. Who knows?
So here's an idea.

Maybe we can ALL let it be.
Start over and get on the right foot with each other.

I'm only here to have a good time and learn from you guys, maybe make a friend or two.
Or 20 or however many I can. You can be one of em if you want. I don't mind. In fact, I'd welcome it. Same goes for tyler.
In the end, I'm just a guy with a camera. So I'll let you guys make that call.

Don't fault Rose for this.
I engineered it.
And you know, she'd probably start over too.

So there it is.

Yes sir,
I am LightSpeed alright.

This is off-topic, but is there some kind of rite of passage that photographers have to go through before they can stop being self-deprecating? I'm honestly curious.

This is off-topic, but is there some kind of rite of passage that photographers have to go through before they can stop being self-deprecating? I'm honestly curious.

Yes, you have to have 1,000 likes.

There are two streams of thought here... Either we like a photo because it conforms to what "we" like to see, or we like it because it makes us see what we would otherwise not have seen.

We expect to see the foreground sharp, especially if it is prominent. If it isn’t then it’s either because of user error, or misplaced esthetics, or purpose. In this case, there is purpose.

The visual elements line up both as a diagonal, and as repeating vertical elements. Size implies depth, reinforced by the OOF foreground bulb, and back (leftmost) bulb. The fact that the bulbs don’t line up in a straight row creates some visual tension, as does the placement of the foreground bulb just off center. The slight angling of the picture relative to the vertical (the cords are not perfectly vertical) also creates a bit of tension. Yet the background elements, barely seen, show the lines as horizontal.

What I’m on the fence about, is the amount of background still visible. It pulls my attention from the arrangement of the bulbs, to wanting to know more about what the place is and its story. The lights are a teaser, giving us some immediate eye candy, but the background invites us to ask for more.

As you can probably tell, I really like the image.

I'm not an expert or anything, but as soon as I saw the picture my eyes just went straight to that bulb that was out of focus.

A little late to the game but I like the photograph. Nice control over DOF.

I'm always amazed at the amount of drama on this board!! I visit quite a few boards and this one takes the cake in DRAMA!! :thumbup:

I'm always amazed at the amount of drama on this board!! I visit quite a few boards and this one takes the cake in DRAMA!! :thumbup:

Fun.. ain't it! lol! :)

I like it, background being as you presented it leaves a little to the imagination as to where it is or where it goes without seeing too much detail.

This may sound confusing but I think the reason that the image is successful is because I can't decide if I like it or not. I like the composition but I'm just not sold on the DOF one way or the other. The organized, tidy part of my brain says that the focus should lead you through the natural DOF of the subjects. The other, distracted part of my brain thinks the image is interesting because you have to think about it for a second to appreciate it. If I had an area in my house that suited such an image, I would put it on the wall. It's a bit too modern for my more rusitc tastes though I could probably make it work somewhere.

I'm not cherry picking through this mess to try and salvage - Bitter feel free to repost the photo in a new thread if you so desire to continue - anyone caught starting/causing drama thereafter on this issue will be up for a time out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back