Does this DoF work in this image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to get off subject, but I've tried flickr and it errors. HTML or direct link?

And I agree, all in focus would be dull. Maybe a different arrangement or even simply only having the first couple in focus. Who knows.

Ok Bitter, let me ask you this. Is this something you would get printed and hang on your wall? Or expect anyone else to?

Oh shyt.

this stuff is hittin the fan now.

Gipson I know you're behind this.

LightSpeed, she's not picking. She's challenging my view and I am challenging hers. Isn't that why we are all here, in the beginners forum? To learn from each other with healthy debate?

Tyler, Flickr.

I'm staying out of it.

Photo got an emotional response from people = win

Why do you keep saying Gipson behind this? Did I miss something.....

Ok Bitter, let me ask you this. Is this something you would get printed and hang on your wall? Or expect anyone else to?

*I* would print it and hang it on my wall.

Love it Bitter.

I'm totally in love with your DOF... I love the tension you created by placing the focus where you did.

I loved it before I realized there was an ulterior motive for this thread... it's still pretty damn cool though.

HOW THE HELL ARE YOU COMING UP WITH THIS SHYT?
This is Bitter. This isn't just some chump photographer.

Not to get off subject, but I've tried flickr and it errors. HTML or direct link?

And I agree, all in focus would be dull. Maybe a different arrangement or even simply only having the first couple in focus. Who knows.

I go in and select out the direct link from the BBCode link. Because with the iPad update you can no longer copy and paste the image :grumpy:

As far as arrangement, it was there. I studied the arrangement and decided on this. I did want to move them. LOL

Eric there's also that thing where westerners are uncomfortable with foreground blur.

Also smaller apertures yield that diffraction starburst, which I think is just right here.

I'm just not really a huge fan of going against the flow just for the sake of it.

And if a photo's metaphor has to be explained in order to be understood, then it just doesn't work.

Last edited:
Eric there's also that thing where westerners are uncomfortable with foreground blur.

Also smaller apertures yield that diffraction starburst, which I think is just right here.

I'm just not really a huge fan of going against the flow just for the sake of it.

And if a photo's metaphor has to be explained in order to be understand, then it just doesn't work.

Oh it was understood.......it made us all uncomfortable. Which in your case made you not like the shot.

I'm no expert. I do what I do. I do things the way I see them. She's asking good questions. And there are no right or wrong answers.
I made choices, and best I can do is explain the. We are all better for the banter in the end, are we not?

As far as expecting someone to purchase it and hang it on there wall? You betchur booties! :sexywink:

I'm no expert. I do what I do. I do things the way I see them. She's asking good questions. And there are no right or wrong answers.
I made choices, and best I can do is explain the. We are all better for the banter in the end, are we not?

As far as expecting someone to purchase it and hang it on there wall? You betchur booties! :sexywink:

I agree with you wholeheartedly.
And you know I do because you know how I am when I get called out.
Though we don't really know each other.

But here's the thing. She asked if YOU would print it out and hang it on your wall.
I would like to see the answer to that for this very reason. I know how critical you are on your own works.

Umm Bitter, you didnt answer my last question....

Why does he have to answer it? I just did.

If I had more than $5 in my pocket, I would message him right now to find out what size prints I could get from him to hang on the bare, bare walls of my apartment.

He could sell it.

Someone would buy it.

Like me.

I have a feeling that Mish might dig it too.

And if a photo's metaphor has to be explained in order to be understand, then it just doesn't work.

Oh it was understood.......it made us all uncomfortable. Which in your case made you not like the shot.

He said it's commentary against social norms. All I see is different for the sake of being different. Maybe it's the way he worded it. It just doesn't seem as profound as it was probably supposed to be represented.

And I've taken several shots that fall into the category of "making photo people uncomfortable", but that doesn't make them any great stroke of genius. If a budding photographer who is not respected on this site took this shot, it would have been ripped to shreds compositionally.

It's kind of like if I painted a picture of a triangle and a square it would be seen as pretentious and boring, but when Kazimir Malevich did it, it was regarded as art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back