Drives me nuts... (sorry, bit of a rant)

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry, wasn't rantish to start off with

How friends look at my photos and say that they are great, ect... I KNOW that they aren't :( All I see is faults :( Everything from exposure to composition, it all looks so wrong to me.

I'm learning and getting better each time I sit down with the camera, and I can see improvements but it still drives me nutty that they say stuff is good and I should "go into business" when I know it isn't. Thing is... eventually I would love to do this for something to do but that is a long way off. I've been interested since I was 12/13 and working with a dslr for the past 4 years or so...

Anyways, just feeling a bit frustrated today telling friends that "NO, I'm not there yet"

And then there are the ones that say... "oh, I'm a photographer... but have no understanding of aperture or exposure and can't tell a dslr from a bridge camera, yes I'm serious. Use selective color or sepia for EVERYTHING and just because they can add vignette to a photo it looks professional.

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!! (Just had to get it out of my system I guess)

Hahaha, feel better now?

To them, your images probably blow them away. My friends and family say the same thing about my pictures, even the bad ones...

And then there are the ones that say... "oh, I'm a photographer... but have no understanding of aperture or exposure and can't tell a dslr from a bridge camera, yes I'm serious. Use selective color or sepia for EVERYTHING and just because they can add vignette to a photo it looks professional.

Those are called "Hipsters" and they also like to tilt the camera about 33 degrees. I'm guilty of doing this stuff from time to time, sans tilt.

Relax
:hug::

It is the sign of the honest learner and one who is accepting of their own faults when one sees only errors on their work. Infact a lot of photographers (even very very good ones) have similar thoughts even though all those around disagree.

Also I often find that our ability to be critical of photos often grows a lot faster than our inherant skill with cameras. So we can often end up in a position where we can critique better than we can shoot. Just give it time and eventually you will catch up your critical side.

Just keep at it and soak up the compliments - its good to bask in success once in a while and the fact that you keep challening yourself means that you won't let it go to your head.

You have to remember that, yes, sometimes friends and family won't say your stuff stinks even you think it does or it does, but also remember that not everyone has an eye or background in photography. Like reznap said, they probably do blow them away even if you can see the faults in them. I think it happens to everyone. I've sold a few prints to people that I have taken and have liked, but haven't loved. It just happened to be the "thing" that they were looking for. Either way, keep it up and if you're learning something, that's all that matters.

Thanks... Surprisingly I do in fact feel much better tbh

You know, I come from a musicians background and something everyone always told me, "you're the biggest critic" When you look at a photograph you look at your faults but most people see the best. Though honestly I think this is a good thing. If you always strive to get better, you will get better.

Most reactions

Back