Dry Bag?

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
I'm leaving tomorrow Canoe Camping...I'm thinking of bringing my camera and tripod for star trails...away from the city. I am somewhat wondering which camera I should bring, the D7000 or D40. I ever the canoe flips over and the Dry Bag I bought (it says it isn't intended for submersion...) doesn't hold on...you know, just kinda worried. What would you guys do? I know I should of bought a real Dry Bag but since it's kinda last minute...
Thanks,
Fred.

Too bad you didn't think ahead a bit more. Canoe barrels are dead cheap and immersion proof as are pelican cases, which are nearly indestructible. You can try putting your gear in a couple of stout freezer bags and taping them well before putting the lot in your not so dry 'dry bags'.

Last edited:
maybe I should rephrase...I'm basically looking to bring the D7000 for night time photography and star trails...however since the bag I bought isn't made to be submersed, and there is a very slight chance of the conoe flipping over, and then very little chance the bag stays in the water long enough to sink, let alone get water inside...but still, my D7000 being one of my most precious possessions I'd like to keep it intact...
Should I just put my whole Domke bag inside the "Dry Bag"?

A 5 gallon unused paint bucket bought at a Lowe's or Home Depot will work just as well. Plus it's not likely to sink.

Oh, yeah, you can sit on it too. ;)

Not a bad idea! A bit of duck tape around the lid just to make sure and all should be well. A roll of duck tape saved the day for my brother when he ripped open my kevlar Old Town on some rocks.

SunnyHours,

You ask if there is a very slight chance of a canoe upset? There is a very real possibility of a canoe upset. Please make sure that all in your party wear their PFD's. Plan for the worst, enjoy the best. Have fun on your camping trip. River running the Restigouche in canoes and kayaks is a favorite summer activity in my neck of the woods.

A 5 gallon unused paint bucket bought at a Lowe's or Home Depot will work just as well. Plus it's not likely to sink.

That's actually a very smart idea!

Patrice, we are heading in the "Red River", yes it's actually red and there's only one rapid, on our 3rd and last day. However I'm keeping positive and yep "planning for the worst, hoping for the best" ;)

Not a bad idea! A bit of duck tape around the lid just to make sure and all should be well. A roll of duck tape saved the day for my brother when he ripped open my kevlar Old Town on some rocks.

SunnyHours,

You ask if there is a very slight chance of a canoe upset? There is a very real possibility of a canoe upset. Please make sure that all in your party wear their PFD's. Plan for the worst, enjoy the best. Have fun on your camping trip. River running the Restigouche in canoes and kayaks is a favorite summer activity in my neck of the woods.

I'm hitting the Restigouche next week. Will be on the water first thing Thursday morning. 2nd year running it from Kedgwick, but when I was younger I spent my summers in Tidehead and was on (and in) it everyday. Beautifull area.

Oh and SunnyHours, I'd suggest tying the drybag to the canoe. Should be able to get to it quicker and pull it out. My friend last year dumped his boat and the stuff was retrieved in about 40 seconds or so. Dry bag kept the stuff dry.

Most reactions

Back