Dslr too big for every day! What should i get?

Heitz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.heitz.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love my D800. I love carrying my huge lenses and speed lights around and looking awesome, important, and strange simultaneously. However, I'm not packing it and lugging it every day, which makes me sad. I want something I can toss in my pocket or at least a small shoulder bag. What do you all suggest as an every day camera? It must have manual capability, so don't say iphone!

I love lugging around a D600, 17-35, 50 and 105 lenses and trying to disappear from the crowd.

I would rather lug that around all day instead of trying to carry something less capable and end up losing a shot.

However, I do have something along the lines of the P7700 in mind.

It's just that I'm missing lots of shots because I don't want to take it everywhere. I have enough to carry every day in my regular job, you know? E.g., I've been looking at leica m9 as a replacement because if its reputation and lower profile

Hi Heitz - In my view, the best small camera option for Nikon full frame shooters is something like the $458 Nikon 1 V1 with the 10-30mm kit lens and a $229 Nikon FT-1 adapter so you have the option of using your FX lenses with the smaller camera. This gives you the flexibility of carrying the small camera on its own with the smaller lenses - or combining it with your existing lenses to take advantage of the Nikon 1's 2.7x crop factor.

With this camera, you will not have to worry about missed shots - it is lightning fast. And it has full manual control.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Heitz - In my view, the best small camera option for Nikon full frame shooters is something like the $458 Nikon 1 V1 with the 10-30mm kit lens and a $229 Nikon FT-1 adapter so you have the option of using your FX lenses with the smaller camera. This gives you the flexibility of carrying the small camera on its own with the smaller lenses - or combining it with your existing lenses to take advantage of the Nikon 1's 2.7x crop factor.

With this camera, you will not have to worry about missed shots - it is lightning fast. And it has full manual control.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Reaaaaly. I didn't know I could use an adapter. Very interesting sir!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I love the Fuji-x pro 1. It has the wow factor, it's small, and very lightweight. The auto WB is so much better then my Canon. I would highly recommend. Super, super sharp. It has a little bit of a lag in low light, but that would be the only negative I could find.

^^^ iPhones take some decent photos these days and you always, always have it.

High end compacts are nice too. I've had a p7000 for a while, and it takes passable photos. The color and DR aren't the greatest in most situations, but I've gotten some really great B&W's off of it. My next "small" camera is probably going to be an OM-D. With the pancake, it's basically an ultra high quality point and shoot, with the option for additional lenses. It's the perfect travel camera, and has the nerd factor in spades :)

Quite a few excellent options these days, unlike even two years ago. It depends a bit on your budget but a few good options are:
LX7 <-- lens by Leica, I've used the LX5 as have a few friends to great results
Pentax Q10 <-- world's smallest interchangeable lens camera (I think)
Nikon 1
Sony RX1R <-- a bit pricier but extremely good performance

It's just that I'm missing lots of shots because I don't want to take it everywhere. I have enough to carry every day in my regular job, you know? E.g., I've been looking at leica m9 as a replacement because if its reputation and lower profile

I have not seen any DSLR produce colour like an M9 i use 2 M4's and they are a pleasure to use the M9 will be my next digital

Most reactions

New Topics

Back