Dunked my camera. Any tips?

I've seen sensors that were exposed to peracetic acid for weeks survive....so it's possible.

I'd say give 'em a few more sloshes, start letting them dry, and cross your fingers.

Good luck!

I hope you removed the battery the second you surfaced. I know a little about electrolysis.

ok, so i put the body fully opened into a tupperware with distilled water, sloshed it around for about 2 minutes, drained it, and now it is soaking in distilled water. the lens is soaking in water as well. i feel nuts for putting electronic equipment into water. please tell me im doing the right thing. argh this sucks.

Believe me if I can rinse an entire photo processor, motherboard and everything, you can rinse a camera and lens.

I would be willing to bet that it will work, especially if you let it dry for a good week. Before you put the battery in, check for any corrosion, if there is any you can use vinegar on a q-tip to get it off. Then put in your new battery and fire it up but not before it has dried for at least a week.

cool, so i shouldnt send it into canon yet? let it dry for a week, test it, THEN send it in if it still doesnt work?

do u think the lens will at least work? thats the big ticket item. the body's cheap, so not as upset about it.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I think the camera is done. The lens maybe done as well. My wife got her cell phone wet once - not submerged and it never worked again. I dried it carefully and completely before turning it on but still - it was all over.

Salt water causes a battery effect between dissimilar metals. Electronics gear is all dissimilar metal components. Your stabilized lens has dissimilar metal components within it. The battery effect causes metal particles to be transferred from where they belong to where they don't belong. Thus it is absolutely essential to get every possible molecule of salt out of the camera and lens. Salt is water soluble thus the use of distilled water.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to FLUSH too many times. When you shake the water out of the camera and lens, taste it to see if there is any salty taste. That's not scientific but if there is any trace of saltiness coming out of your gear then obviously several more flushings will be required.

Even if you don't taste any salt, minute particles may remain inside the camera and lens. The camera may even work HOWEVER, when it gets in a humid atmosphere that salt will begin it's insidious process of dissolving and corroding electrical components. Thus the requirement to send it to someplace that can completely disassemble the equipment, properly clean it, reassemble it and check it out.

On Monday I would contact Canon and give them all the details. Go by whatever they say. If they say everything is trashed and they don't want to work on it then post here again. I'll watch the postings. Much depends on whether or not the electronics inside has been protected at the factory.

I have seen military electronics that was so well protected that it would likely survive saltwater submersion for a long time without a lot of fuss. Such gear is typically encapsulated in some sort of epoxy. The connectors can be a problem though. That gear is normally non repairable unless the epoxy material can be removed.

Other methods have involved covering all the circuit board and its components with a heavy coating of a rubbery substance. That gear can be repaired once the stuff is scrapped off. Again the connectors will be a problem.

Then there's gear that have virtually no protection. Gear such as that doesn't last long at all inside the Navy helicopters I was involved in. Those helos hover at 40' all the time and the rotor wash drenches the entire aircraft in salt water. I've pulled the covers off of electronic gear that had green corrosion growing up out of every solder joint on a circuit board.

I've restored to service black boxes that have been pulled from helos that were partially submerged by following the basic procedures I've outlined above. We didn't dry it out though. We flushed the gear with a water displacing corrosion preventive compound. I don't think that stuff would be usable on lenses or cameras though because it leaves a film.

If Canon will take the gear, I would ship it overnight. Good luck.

On Monday I would contact Canon and give them all the details. Go by whatever they say. If they say everything is trashed and they don't want to work on it then post here again. I'll watch the postings. Much depends on whether or not the electronics inside has been protected at the factory.

I have seen military electronics that was so well protected that it would likely survive saltwater submersion for a long time without a lot of fuss. Such gear is typically encapsulated in some sort of epoxy. The connectors can be a problem though. That gear is normally non repairable unless the epoxy material can be removed.

Other methods have involved covering all the circuit board and its components with a heavy coating of a rubbery substance. That gear can be repaired once the stuff is scrapped off. Again the connectors will be a problem.

Then there's gear that have virtually no protection. Gear such as that doesn't last long at all inside the Navy helicopters I was involved in. Those helos hover at 40' all the time and the rotor wash drenches the entire aircraft in salt water. I've pulled the covers off of electronic gear that had green corrosion growing up out of every solder joint on a circuit board.

I've restored to service black boxes that have been pulled from helos that were partially submerged by following the basic procedures I've outlined above. We didn't dry it out though. We flushed the gear with a water displacing corrosion preventive compound. I don't think that stuff would be usable on lenses or cameras though because it leaves a film.

If Canon will take the gear, I would ship it overnight. Good luck.

I didn't know you were going to send it in, since you are you need to do some things. Do you have a hair dryer that has a no heat setting? If you do I would dry it gently with that, let it dry the rest of the weekend and then contact Canon. I agree with grafxman. If Canon says it is trashed please post and let us know. There are other things you can do. Good luck!

I would suggest that you try and claim it on your house insurance. Most, if not all policies include $5,000 coverage for property away from home.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back