Dunked my camera. Any tips?

note to everyone: we dont HAVE home insurance. i just rent. its a loss insurance wise. i'll see if i can add it to my car insurance or something.
Cranium, Today you need to call an insurance agent and get renters insurance. I pay $12.00 a month for mine for up to 50,000 in loss.

= ( good luck with your camera- I hope all the advice you have been given helps!

About the water inside your lens, I was shooting the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia SC and it was sprinkling rain. I was using my Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens and water got inside the slide area of the lens. When I returned to the motel I took a bunch of tissues, zoomed the lens back and forth, drying the lens barrel each time. I shook downwards, I shook it upwards, I zoomed, dried, zoomed, dried for about an hour. Eventually no more water appeared on the lens barrel when it was zoomed in and out. I now carry an Eva-dry Renewable EDV-300 inside my camera bag.

I don't know if that procedure will work for you but that water got inside your lens somehow so it should come out if you can develop the right procedure. If you send the lens off for repair, be sure to tell the repair station everything that happened and everything you have done.

You might give these guys a call:

General Camera Care Information from Camera Care Center

I don't know anything about them but they might be able to provide some useful info. Here's what their web page has about water damage:

Ideally bring it in the same day for the best possible repair. Place in a plastic bag, remove all possible air within the bag to reduce oxidation. If completely submerged, remove battery, keep camera submerged in fresh water (distilled water is best). Bring in the same day and hope for the best. We use equipment that will eliminate moisture ASAP, slowing down the corrosion process, allowing us more time for proper servicing.
Soaking in bourbon or other alcohol is just a bad rumor! May cause additional damage.

I telll you e tof there was any salt water in it at all I would be calling my insurance company, not the repair depot.
I hate to tell you this but salt water is like acid to electronics.

I telll you e tof there was any salt water in it at all I would be calling my insurance company, not the repair depot.
I hate to tell you this but salt water is like acid to electronics.

That is why he rinsed everything with distilled water.

Do what grafxman suggested. Zoom, rezoom, dry etc. That should get the majority out and letting it sit and dry with the rice.

Why are you sending it in if you don't have insurance? Why not let it dry for a week or so then get a new battery and try it and go from there?

Why are you sending it in if you don't have insurance? Why not let it dry for a week or so then get a new battery and try it and go from there?

i thought i could send it in, and just pay canon to fix it? i dont have to do that?

Fix what? There may not be anything to fix. I would suggest that you let it dry for at least a week, then check for any corrosion, get a brand new battery and try it. If it works you are good, if it doesn't you can send it in.

ok. i'm this close to buy a 5d mark 2 w/ 24-105L now. would sell my 17-40L to cover most of the new lens cost. even if the rebel works, i was gonna upgrade anywayz and use the rebel as a backup/crop option.

Thanks. just bought a 5D Mark II with 24-105L lens off B&H for $3499. OUCH! But they give you the option to pay 6 months later, so I'll be saving $583/month for the next 6 months. Haha. Selling my 17-40L if anyone's interested. It did NOT get dunked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back