DX and FX

SOME DX lenses cover the 5:4 (8x10) ratio pretty well. As I recall, the Tokina 16-28 Dx covers FX from 16mm-28mm...
Rockwell and Thom Hogan BOTH have a section in their lens reviews of Dx lenses, where they detail how a lens designed for DX does when used on FX. As an aside...a friend of mine has three DX lenses..one of them, a long tele-zoom (Dx 55-300??), has HORRIBLE vignetting on Fx...I was surprised! BAD vignette, not usable except in Dx capture.

As I recall from a review of the 35mm f/1.8 DX-Nikkor from around the time of its introduction, the lens does pretty well on 5:4 with the D3s..on other FX Nikons that allow you to crop off and not record the left and right edges of the frame in horizontal camera orientation.

"It all depends"...I have read a lot of lens reviews..some Dx zooms are usable on FX through part of their focal length range, or with the 5:4 aspect ratio enabled in-camera, or with cropping in post. Other Dx zooms are not usable on FX cameras, except in Dx-crop capture mode.

As far as Northrup and Rockwell...both have made some dumb comments over the years, but both at heart, I think, try to give solid info most of the time but both guys at times are prone to an occasional bit of the outrageous or downright dumb.

Last edited:
Watch some of the new lenses.
I think there are some compatibility issues with the AF-P lenses on the D7200, even with the latest firmware.
I use a 10-20 AFP on a 7200 without issue.

Watch some of the new lenses.
I think there are some compatibility issues with the AF-P lenses on the D7200, even with the latest firmware.
I use a 10-20 AFP on a 7200 without issue.

Can you turn the VR OFF, for use on a tripod?
As I recall that is an issue with AF-P DX on the D7200.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back