DX or FX

I only use FX camera but that because I want to use a 35mm film camera along with the DSLR. I want my lenses behave the same way whether it's mounted on the digital or film camera. That is my only reason to only use FX. In your case I don't think you need FX. The extra DOF (very little in my opinion) is a plus to me. Image quality isn't much different and if there is the next generation of DX sensors will just as good as today's FX. I don't think there is much to gain.

DX cameras can take some great photos.. if your shooting sports or wild life the extra crop you get with a DX is nice.. my 600mm lens actually gets me to about 900mm on the crop sensor.. something like the d7200 or d500 would be the way to go for a crop sensor if you want good quality camera with lots of features.. even something like the D5300 will take excellent photos with a nice lens on it but there is not a built in focus motor or anything liek the other 2 i mentioned has... full frame or DX lenses work great on a DX camera..

if your not into sports or wildlife and you dont mind spending the extra money i would say go with the full frame.. if using a DX lens on a FX camera you will want to switch to DX mode in the camera body.. you loose some megapixels when you do that so its best to get full frame lenses.

Use what you have now, it's plenty good enough. Focus (no pun intended) on learning settings, composition, technique, etc. That will improve your photos more than switching to a FF body will.

DX cameras can take some great photos.. if your shooting sports or wild life the extra crop you get with a DX is nice.. my 600mm lens actually gets me to about 900mm on the crop sensor.. something like the d7200 or d500 would be the way to go for a crop sensor if you want good quality camera with lots of features.. even something like the D5300 will take excellent photos with a nice lens on it but there is not a built in focus motor or anything liek the other 2 i mentioned has... full frame or DX lenses work great on a DX camera..

if your not into sports or wildlife and you dont mind spending the extra money i would say go with the full frame.. if using a DX lens on a FX camera you will want to switch to DX mode in the camera body.. you loose some megapixels when you do that so its best to get full frame lenses.
I bought a new camera the other day. I got a D750. I fiddled with a D500. Oh, I really wanted that camera for the FPS. It was a toss up nearly. I thought of buying it, using it then returning it within 30 days if I changed my mind. If I knew my d600 was repairable I may have gotten the D500, but I still don't know that. I figure I have 30 days to find out and return the d750 for a d500 if I really want to. I really need the FX low light for astrophotography - cuts the exposures in half vs DX. Plus the DX would technically take my telescope to 7,500mm LOL

I bought a new camera the other day. I got a D750. I fiddled with a D500. Oh, I really wanted that camera for the FPS. It was a toss up nearly. I thought of buying it, using it then returning it within 30 days if I changed my mind. If I knew my d600 was repairable I may have gotten the D500, but I still don't know that. I figure I have 30 days to find out and return the d750 for a d500 if I really want to. I really need the FX low light for astrophotography - cuts the exposures in half vs DX. Plus the DX would technically take my telescope to 7,500mm LOL

well that D750 is a nice camera, if i were going full frame that is what i would get... hopefully you can get your other camera fixed...

the high iso comparison between the d500 and the d810 looked to be about the same to me, the photos looked identical and appeared to have about the same amount of noise , the highest they went in the test was 12,800 iso though. i have also saw a few photos taken at around 50k iso with the d500 and the photos were still usable.. noisy but not crazy noisy, just a bit more noisy than i would want but your talking in the 50k iso range.... here is a link to that comparison.. it sounds like you would really like to have the d500 and from what every thing i have seen or heard that d500 sounds like its almost as good as a full frame in low light..

The Nikon D500 - Reigniting The DX / FX Debate And A Few High ISO Photos

well that D750 is a nice camera, if i were going full frame that is what i would get... hopefully you can get your other camera fixed...

the high iso comparison between the d500 and the d810 looked to be about the same to me, the photos looked identical and appeared to have about the same amount of noise , the highest they went in the test was 12,800 iso though. i have also saw a few photos taken at around 50k iso with the d500 and the photos were still usable.. noisy but not crazy noisy, just a bit more noisy than i would want but your talking in the 50k iso range.... here is a link to that comparison.. it sounds like you would really like to have the d500 and from what every thing i have seen or heard that d500 sounds like its almost as good as a full frame in low light..

The Nikon D500 - Reigniting The DX / FX Debate And A Few High ISO Photos
I read all that before. I wasn't expecting to *have to* buy a replacement.
one problem, the d500 is BIGGER than the D750. lol .. just one of those things I know ppl say DX cameras are smaller in this case it isn't lol
If my d600 is dead though I really need the FX. I found in my home studio I just can't work a DX camera there (too small) in relation to perspective control, etc. and oddly, when heavily cropping images my d600 beat my d7000 I had.

but the faster shutter 1/8000 vs 1/4000 (I've had to use 1/8000 before on my d7000, on the d600 I've used 1/4000 and ISO 50) would be handy. Plus it would be a little cheaper $$
Sounds like a great camera, I might try to test drive one quickly especially at night.

But the D500 seems more of a DX *exception* rather than Norm and can't throw the d7x00, d5x00 nor d3x00 into the same conversation.

I was hoping that this would get filled out too ==> Nikon D500 vs Nikon D750 vs Nikon D600 | DxOMark

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back