DX or FX

mdq8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys ..

Im going on a landscape photography trip, I'm using a NikonD51oo, its a DX camera, can i get very good photos with this camera or do have to buy a more expensive FX ( Full Frame ) camera ?

Thanks ..

Yes you can get good photos with the d5100

D5100 is a very good camera. Lens selection will be important. Personally, I would use a 35mm 1.8g prime but many others prefer something wider in the f2.8 variety. I have also used my Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 and it does a good job. I tend to close up the apeture for landscape as well, i am usually around the f11 range. Tripod and wireless remote work well here to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If it's a one off - take what you have (maybe a wider angle lens if you don't have one) - see how you get on and then if you love it, and want to take more landscapes - go full frame later on ;)

D5100 is capable of fantastic landscape shots. Even a modest kit lens if used at iso 100 and approx f8 would be capable of excellent quality

Yes you can, it is a good camera. All you need is a really good wide lense. I have never tried the above mentioned Sigma 17-50 2.8, but I have heard a lot of good things about this lense. If it is as good as people say, it will produce amazing image quality on d5100.

If the price is too steep, do not worry, the kit 18-55 is not a slouch either. It is a very good Lense for the price.

Otherwise, if your pockets are deep enough, you can go for the (used?) bulletproof Nikon 17-55 2.8, excellent pro quality lense that will give you top IQ. It will be cheaper than switching to full frame anyway.

Last edited:
The D5100 is capable of some very good landscape shots. No insult intended, but you will likely be more of a limiting factor on the quality of your landscape scopes than your body will be. I say that b/c that is true with most people taking pictures.

1. The Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX lens is a lovely lens for traveling. Sharp, small, light, good wide angle and good in low light. I have one. I highly recommend it.

2. Get yourself a very good tripod. Not some $50 POS. It needs to be rock solid and something that travels well (the two are often contradictory when it comes to tripods).

3. Look at a NDF or a GNDF...especially useful for sunsets or sunrises or long exposures of things like flowing water.

4. Get a circular polarizing filter to help add punch to your clouds and reduce glare (and therefore enhance the color of leaves or foliage).

D5100 is a very good camera. Lens selection will be important. Personally, I would use a 35mm 1.8g prime but many others prefer something wider in the f2.8 variety. I have also used my Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 and it does a good job. I tend to close up the apeture for landscape as well, i am usually around the f11 range. Tripod and wireless remote work well here to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks

If it's a one off - take what you have (maybe a wider angle lens if you don't have one) - see how you get on and then if you love it, and want to take more landscapes - go full frame later on ;)
Thanks

D5100 is capable of fantastic landscape shots. Even a modest kit lens if used at iso 100 and approx f8 would be capable of excellent quality
Thanks

Yes you can, it is a good camera. All you need is a really good wide lense. I have never tried the above mentioned Sigma 17-50 2.8, but I have heard a lot of good things about this lense. If it is as good as people say, it will produce amazing image quality on d5100.

If the price is too steep, do not worry, the kit 18-55 is not a slouch either. It is a very good Lense for the price.

Otherwise, if your pockets are deep enough, you can go for the (used?) bulletproof Nikon 17-55 2.8, excellent pro quality lense that will give you top IQ. It will be cheaper than switching to full frame anyway.
Thanks

The D5100 is capable of some very good landscape shots. No insult intended, but you will likely be more of a limiting factor on the quality of your landscape scopes than your body will be. I say that b/c that is true with most people taking pictures.

1. The Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX lens is a lovely lens for traveling. Sharp, small, light, good wide angle and good in low light. I have one. I highly recommend it.

2. Get yourself a very good tripod. Not some $50 POS. It needs to be rock solid and something that travels well (the two are often contradictory when it comes to tripods).

3. Look at a NDF or a GNDF...especially useful for sunsets or sunrises or long exposures of things like flowing water.

4. Get a circular polarizing filter to help add punch to your clouds and reduce glare (and therefore enhance the color of leaves or foliage).
Thanks

Yes you need to buy a FullFrame, as long as you buy it from me *LOL*
Christmas season is the slow period for photography and the rush period for camera sales so I do both.
It won't make your pictures any better, but I would thank you for your support.

If you can afford the more expensive body, I suppose FX would be the way to go since it will also work with the DX lenses. Personally, I'm not sure image quality would be an issue with the resolutions we have today. But the FX would be more practical and more expensive.

Most reactions

Back