[DxO] DxOMark verdict: D800 v. 5DMIII

I fired multiple off camera flashes yesterday with the D800 and never had a problem with it, however I was using a master SB700 in the hotshoe...

and I was shooting with the 14-24mm yesterday and still have no issues...I can take some autofocus test shots and post them up if people would be interested...

I have no problems buying v1.0 cameras nowadays. I personally have not seen any of the issues that people are complaining about, but if they are widespread and not just a few isolated incidents then I'm sure nikon can issue a firmware update which is simple to perform. DSLR technology is fairly well developed, buying a new model of camera is not like buying a totally new type of technology....like when plasma TV's first came out, they were riddled with issues that took time to work out...or when DSLRs first came out, I would have waited to buy one (and I did, I didn't switch from film until like 2010ish, but thats not necissarily only because of waiting on technology advancements), but the base technology behind DSLRs is pretty well rooted....maybe its the engineer in me, because I understand how product development and such work, but none of these complaints really bother me...

I'm still glad I got mine, and given the chance, I'd do it again....really the only thing I could complain about are some of the changes in ergonomics, but that is really minor, and only a matter of opinion and personal preference, so it really wouldn't necissarily affect other people.

Last edited:
Vtec44 said:
I have 3 ENEL15 batteries for my D7000, which is the same battery for the D800. I believe the recall is for a tiny batch but this is not related to the D800. The battery is being used for several Nikon cameras including the D7000, J1, D800 and it was in production way before the D800 was introduced. I'll definitely test lenses below 50mm but I doubt it's any serious issue. Nikon are really good at product testing.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/538719/nikon-uk-issues-d800-battery-voluntary-recall

Have you heard about the D800 problems ? autofocus problems with wide angle lenses below 50mm, batteries being recalled

I have 3 ENEL15 batteries for my D7000, which is the same battery for the D800. I believe the recall is for a tiny batch but this is not related to the D800. The battery is being used for several Nikon cameras including the D7000, J1, D800 and it was in production way before the D800 was introduced. .

yeah, the recalled batch actually does include the ones that came with the D800, ask me how I know...heh :lol:

but you're right, a battery recall has nothing to do with the body they're used on...

If you search the net there are other problems with video and a few have gone bang not sure what it is though

if you search the internet for problems with ANY body you'll get people complaining about almost anything, but its on the net so it must be true, right? if that were the case and everything on the 'net was accurate then every camera ever made would be riddled with problems and issues...

shall we search the 5DM3's light leak issues, and Canon's own product advisory for the 5DmIII body, pink casting issues, HDR mode issues, incorrect EXIF issue....or the 5dM2's video problems, shutter problems, sensor 'burning'... but I'm guessing you probably didn't have those problems with your 5DM2 'eh? otherwise you probably wouldn't have it....

my problem with all these posts your going around and making is that unless you have personal experience with all these problems, its little more than just spreading useless hearsay and rumors...if you were truly wanting to know what issues the D800 might have, you would probably ask those of us who use one if what you were reading was correct rather than posting up BS based off 'net searches and claiming it as fact....because I DO have first hand experience with the D800, and have not seen any of the problems you keep parrotting from internet searches...

if there were issues with my D800, I'd have no problems reporting them to nikon and telling it like it is...hell I'd get rid of the D800 if all the rumors were true...but they just plain aren't correct in real-world-land. People all to often claim a piece of equipment is at fault when it is much more likely due to user error.

the only 2 claims I've seen that MIGHT have any merit from your posts are the flash triggering, and autofocusing....I'll test out the OCF triggering of remote units today since I haven't tried using the OCF to trigger the remotes, but I haven't had problems with a hotshoe SB700 triggering other SB700's, and I'll try to get some autofocus test shots below 50mm posted too.. and guess what, if I have problems, I'll tell it like it is, and provide some first hand proof of the problems, but from what I've seen so far with my experiences, you'll probably get evidence that the claimed 'net' problems, are not accurate, or at least not widespread enough to be in my copy of the D800...

If you search the net there are other problems with video and a few have gone bang not sure what it is though

Gary, I have to say! I'm not sure where you are going with this. It seems someone is slightly irritated about Nikon releasing the D800? Or am I wrong?? ;)

Gary, I have to say! I'm not sure where you are going with this. It seems someone is slightly irritated about Nikon releasing the D800? Or am I wrong?? ;)

Couldn't care less, but most Nikon owners on here try to make out they are perfect

if you search the internet for problems with ANY body you'll get people complaining about almost anything, but its on the net so it must be true, right? if that were the case and everything on the 'net was accurate then every camera ever made would be riddled with problems and issues...

shall we search the 5DM3's light leak issues, and Canon's own product advisory for the 5DmIII body, pink casting issues, HDR mode issues, incorrect EXIF issue....or the 5dM2's video problems, shutter problems, sensor 'burning'... but I'm guessing you probably didn't have those problems with your 5DM2 'eh? otherwise you probably wouldn't have it....

my problem with all these posts your going around and making is that unless you have personal experience with all these problems, its little more than just spreading useless hearsay and rumors...if you were truly wanting to know what issues the D800 might have, you would probably ask those of us who use one if what you were reading was correct rather than posting up BS based off 'net searches and claiming it as fact....because I DO have first hand experience with the D800, and have not seen any of the problems you keep parrotting from internet searches...

if there were issues with my D800, I'd have no problems reporting them to nikon and telling it like it is...hell I'd get rid of the D800 if all the rumors were true...but they just plain aren't correct in real-world-land. People all to often claim a piece of equipment is at fault when it is much more likely due to user error.

the only 2 claims I've seen that MIGHT have any merit from your posts are the flash triggering, and autofocusing....I'll test out the OCF triggering of remote units today since I haven't tried using the OCF to trigger the remotes, but I haven't had problems with a hotshoe SB700 triggering other SB700's, and I'll try to get some autofocus test shots below 50mm posted too.. and guess what, if I have problems, I'll tell it like it is, and provide some first hand proof of the problems, but from what I've seen so far with my experiences, you'll probably get evidence that the claimed 'net' problems, are not accurate, or at least not widespread enough to be in my copy of the D800...

I don't have a 5Dmk2 :lol:

good job champ...then could look at the 1Dmk2's dark band problems, or color handling problems...the point remains the same...

Issues firing off camera flashes with the D800? nope, no issues other than my flash batteries need to be replaced...

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't care less, but most Nikon owners on here try to make out they are perfect

no more than canon owners try to make out that canon is perfect...no one said the d800 is perfect anyways, not at all, there are some little things I could complain about, but overall any of those things are simply opinion....going around like an upset canon fanboy quoting internet rumors and fabricating innacuracies doesn't do anything for anyone.

good job champ...then could look at the 1Dmk2's dark band problems, or color handling problems...the point remains the same...

Never seen that with either of mine

yeah, thats exactly my point, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I'm only saying that just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true...I just searched '1DmkII problems' and thats a few that I saw off the top...I'm sure your 1DMk2 is a great camera, just like I'm sure the 5Dmk3 is a great camera, and just like I know that the D800 is a great camera....none of them are perfect, and discussing their issues and limitations is a good thing, but we've got to keep it reasonable and keep the hearsay, crazy internet stories and baseless claims out of it, they won't help anyone who is searching to find real and accurate information...

I've got some autofocus test shots, I just need to get them coverted to jpg and resized with crops

Never seen that with either of mine

yeah, thats exactly my point, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I'm only saying that just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true...I just searched '1DmkII problems' and thats a few that I saw off the top...I'm sure your 1DMk2 is a great camera, just like I'm sure the 5Dmk3 is a great camera, and just like I know that the D800 is a great camera....none of them are perfect, and discussing their issues and limitations is a good thing, but we've got to keep it reasonable and keep the hearsay, crazy internet stories and baseless claims out of it, they won't help anyone who is searching to find real and accurate information...

I've got some autofocus test shots, I just need to get them coverted to jpg and resized with crops

I also like pulling peoples legs :sexywink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back