Engagement Photos - Constructive crit please

mwild

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there! I just shot a couple's engagement photos this week, and here are a few I've worked on. I have several more to do, and I'm really excited about the shots, but I thought it would be nice to get some opinions before I finish the post-processing on the rest. Any advice on sharpening, and re-sizing? I usually do those last and I find sometimes the end product looks a little distorted. Thanks! :)

Sorry, but I don't care for any of these.
#1 and 2: I don't get this
#3,4 and 5: have the airbrushing (?) going on that isn't very attractive
#6 appears to be over sharpened or over saturated or over something
#7 Has the big red blob sticking out the guys back and the highlights are blown

If I had to pick one, it might be #5, but for an engagement photo, it's not very good...sorry

Anyone have anything more positive to add?

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Oh, that's not airbrushing.. I was trying to frame them with leaves in the foreground.

#2 is better then #1. The impact of the picture is much better without the faces and just the hands. I like #3 too. I dont like the bw versions from that spot. The color makes it more appealing to me. The one with the arch is kinda blah. And what is that red thing in the last shot? is that a cooler or something?

Thanks!

The red thing is a flag/street lamp decor, the couple wanted shots downtown. I can see what you mean though.. distraction right?

Oh, that's not airbrushing.. I was trying to frame them with leaves in the foreground.

I thought that was your intent, but they are so far out of focus, I thought you were attempting to mimic the leaf framing.

Luckily I got some other shots with different trees where the depth of field wasn't so shallow. Hopefully those end up looking more legit. :)

The only thing that stood out to me in this set. #2, why did you put her on the side she is on? In my opinion, the shot would have been 100% better had she been on the other side, it would have shown her engagement ring while holding the picture. It's a little thing, but for an engagement shot, it's important to show off the ring in shots like that.

The only thing that stood out to me in this set. #2, why did you put her on the side she is on? In my opinion, the shot would have been 100% better had she been on the other side, it would have shown her engagement ring while holding the picture. It's a little thing, but for an engagement shot, it's important to show off the ring in shots like that.

Very valid point! I'll keep that in mind next time.. thanks! I'm working on being more focused while shooting portraits. I'm a naturally anxious person, and I desperately need improvement on directing subjects.

I think the first two would have been better if they were kissing the Polaroid instead of just awkwardly standing there holding hands.

I do like #5 though. The leaves in the foreground make it almost look like a heart. lol

With the last two the lighting is just so harsh that it creates unflattering and stark shadows.

What is the thing with the Polaroid, anyways? Was that a photo from when they started dating? There must be some significance to it, which is lost on us, a personal thing?

I quite like the ones shot through the leaves. It feels like there's something not quite right in each of them, either her expression is a little ambiguous, or there's the out of focus leaf is over his head, or something. It's a good idea, well executed, and they all look quite decent to me. It is the kind of thing where you really need to shoot a lot, and then pick the one where everything is perfect.

Very artistic and out of the ordinary. I can see where a lot of folks may not go for this creative, edgy approach, but I think this set has merit. This is where understanding your client is important. The color ones seem a little on the magenta side. The big red shape in the background in the last one (usually a big no no) seems to work in this case.

I think the first two would have been better if they were kissing the Polaroid instead of just awkwardly standing there holding hands.

I do like #5 though. The leaves in the foreground make it almost look like a heart. lol

With the last two the lighting is just so harsh that it creates unflattering and stark shadows.

I agree with the harsh shadows, I'm going to invest in reflectors, and try flash filler. I saw the heart too.. lol

What is the thing with the Polaroid, anyways? Was that a photo from when they started dating? There must be some significance to it, which is lost on us, a personal thing?

The polaroid was more of an experiment than anything else. They wanted a "save the date" photo, so this was where they could write the date on the bottom of the polaroid).
Thanks so much for the feeback! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back