Enjoying Autumn with my kids

STiZzle2010

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are my three children and my practice subjects lol. CC is welcome as it is the only way I'll get any better ;)

Taken with a Nikon D5500, Nikkor 50mm 1.8G, and edited in Lightroom.
f/3.2, 1/200th, ISO 250, flash fired.
JMH_0095 by Hebee's Visions, on Flickr

f/2.5, 1/200th, ISO 250, flash fired.
JMH_0137 by Hebee's Visions, on Flickr

Nice.The pumpkins was a great idea to prop the baby up.

Nice pictures.
I like the first more than the second. The flash in the second produces too much flattening and blanching of the baby's face for my taste.
With less blue and more red in his face only.

baby-blanching.jpg

Thank you DarkShadow, I'm happy it worked so well!

The_Traveler I agree and prefer your tones, thanks!

First of all, these are both very nice - and you seem to have sweet nice (and attractive) children.

IME, baby's skin is so delicate that it can get totally blanched and 'flattened' by light that merely illuminates clothing which has much more sturdy texture.
So the baby ends up areas of his/her face that are flat planes of color or just bright without color at all.
It is difficult to see bluish tint on skin, particularly in outside scenes because we are accustomed to the cold light of day.
The tip-off is in the whites of the eyes. Children usually have milky white, very slightly tinged with blue, sclera (as opposed to the murky whites shot through with capillaries of us adults.) So I try adjusting the white balance until the eyes look good.
If the eyes are too small to see the color easily, I just add some warmth and see how it looks.
Compare the bluish tint in the baby's hands, which I didn't include, to that of his face.

Makes a lot of sense. I never even thought to compare the white balance to the eyes, that is a great idea! Not working on a calibrated monitor makes me worried about "going too far" with my edits and I tend to be conservative.

The baby and the pumpkins is adorable. Cute kids.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back