Entry Level DSLR suggestion

I'm not sure I'm following.
My T2i will beep as soon as I half-press if the lens is in manual focus mode. Always.
Nevermind, I rarely manually focus, use live view when I do, tripod, for macro shots etc.

My T2i will beep as soon as I half-press if the lens is in manual focus mode. Always.
Nevermind, I rarely manually focus, use live view when I do, tripod, for macro shots etc.

I am probably explaining it poorly, but it helps if you are unable to set up a tripos or need to photograph something thats moving say in a light breeze

That second lens with the Canon, the 55-250 is a good lens and will expand your range considerably. As this is your entry into DSLR I would go with the Canon kit. All other comparisons quality of sensor etc between your choices is pretty much nit-picking. So in the final analysis it really is one of most bang for the buck, and I think the Canon T5 kit wins.

I agree, Canon will have better "IQ" image quality and lens selection and the 55-250 is a good starter telephoto

I am probably explaining it poorly, but it helps if you are unable to set up a tripos or need to photograph something thats moving say in a light breeze

A useful technique, my older DSLR went one better. It could be used with 'catch in focus' with manual lenses. Hold down the shutter & rock/adjust focus the camera would only shoot when the AF system found it in focus. I can't get that to work with my newer one :(

That second lens with the Canon, the 55-250 is a good lens and will expand your range considerably. As this is your entry into DSLR I would go with the Canon kit. All other comparisons quality of sensor etc between your choices is pretty much nit-picking. So in the final analysis it really is one of most bang for the buck, and I think the Canon T5 kit wins.

What you are saying is that, if i buy Canon 1200D or Nikon D3300, i won't even understand much difference in them, so i should get the one with more good lenses?
and also i heard somewhere that other than sports or wildlife photography the 55-250 isn't even needed and i should invest more in good sensors. is that correct?
i do travel a lot to mountains. for those cases what will be the better camera and lens among these?

Truly, if your budget allows it, I would step into the D7100 or D7000 if you can't go full frame (if you're concerned about sensors). Where your true investment resides is in lenses, so it is best to pick a brand of camera that feels best in your hands. They all basically do the same thing, take pictures. I've only had a zoom in the 70-200 focal length, and it was only used for events where I needed the reach, but it's good for wildlife and creepy behavior.

What you are saying is that, if i buy Canon 1200D or Nikon D3300, i won't even understand much difference in them, so i should get the one with more good lenses?
and also i heard somewhere that other than sports or wildlife photography the 55-250 isn't even needed and i should invest more in good sensors. is that correct?
i do travel a lot to mountains. for those cases what will be the better camera and lens among these?

the 55-250mm is a very good all around lens. My son is a trucker in the Pacific NW and has taken exceptional photos of Mt sheep, ocean seascapes, Mt landscapes, deer, eagles etc. I have no difficulty recommending that lens. You got all the opinions, now decide just what the he11 you want from a camera and buy the setup that fits those needs. You cannot reasonably expect a bunch of strangers (no matter how knowledgeable) to tell you exactly what you need. You will find that if you get into photography you will have to do 99% of the work, and thinking yourself. Are you up to that?
here's a link to some of his stuff using an old canon T2i and the 55-250mm lens
Imgur

Was going to list some plus and minus points here but I reckon op isn't coming back. :)
I am extremely sorry, i had an exam and was busy.

Good. Hope your exam went well. Sometimes people post a single post and don't return, then it feels like a big explanation is wasted, not this time though ;)

If you are going to shoot only in perfect sunny day then the difference between the Nikon and Canon camera will be small but once you are looking at grey days or evening shots then the Nikon sensor is going to show considerable superiority over the canon.
Sensor in Canon is over 6 years old and the one in Nikon I believe is about 2 years old, this in technology term is very old.

If you are going to shoot only in perfect sunny day then the difference between the Nikon and Canon camera will be small but once you are looking at grey days or evening shots then the Nikon sensor is going to show considerable superiority over the canon.
Sensor in Canon is over 6 years old and the one in Nikon I believe is about 2 years old, this in technology term is very old.

I completely disagree with that statement. You can see some difference on dark and gray days, but not significant, most certainly NOT considerable.

I completely disagree with that statement. You can see some difference on dark and gray days, but not significant, most certainly NOT considerable.

The comparison is rooted in what? Considerable is relative and subjective in this case. Both brands will do well without considerable IQ differences if comparing apples to apples in camera classes. One thing however, I think Nikon gives more features for less than canon.

My household's equipment is a make up of Sony, Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Olympus, Minolta, and Pentax. You just need to know how to pick them.

The difference isn't that big at all. The numbers dxo use (which is what I assume you base the comparison on) isn't all it seems in day to day use. It says image quality is 30% better, a fraction of a stop in noise better etc, but these are based on charts etc. Look again at the links earlier in the thread and you'll see a very similar spread of photos and image quality between the 2 cameras. I am not saying nikon doesn't have the edge but the numbers this dxo site throw out don't really mean much to a photograph viewer in my opinion.

If you look at any individual review of the 1200d, image quality always gets the thumbs up.

Canon EOS 1200D Review | PhotographyBLOG

Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5) Review

Canon EOS 1200D Digital SLR Full Review

Just to go slightly off subject a bit. Below is a photo taken with a 10d. If you go onto dxo this camera is so far back in the sensor stakes its a wonder it can even take a photo. Colour/dynamic range etc are all poor scores, but it still produced this, that though may not be a fantastic photo, has plenty of detail and colour. Any new dslr will be miles ahead

Not making honey by jaomul, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm very confused right now. If my budget allows, i should get a better lens than a better sensor?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back