EQUIPMENT FOR STUDIO??

brookie418

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
HEY! I AM NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY AND HAVE ONLY BEEN DOING OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS. WE ARE BUILDING A HOUSE, WHERE I WILL HAVE A STUDIO!!! IT PROBABLY WON'T BE READY UNTIL DEC. OR JAN., BUT I WANT TO START BUYING THE EQUIPMENT I WILL NEED. ARE THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT I WILL NEED TO START OUT WITH?? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

ARE THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS

Yes, First is that turn off your caps Lock, it is not cruise control for cool. I am not trying to be rude, it is just caps lock on = yelling.
I know how exciting it can be, but we need some background info to help you

The second this is we will need to know what type of studio photography you are looking to do.
Are you looking for strobes or hot lights?
What is your budget?
How many lights were you thinking of?
What is your experience level?
and how much room will you have in the new space?, and how high are the ceilings?

Pro strobes & PSUs, colored gels, clips, lots of 1x2s, bolts of various reflective and translucent fabrics, mirrors and tinfoil, hammer, saw, staple gun, shelves to put it all on, and a fridge to keep the beers cold!

Sorry I hurt your ears with my yelling, speedtrap. I didn't realize the caps lock traveled through the airwaves.

SO, YOU'VE BEEN DOING OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY FOR A WHILE? WHY DO YOU WANT TO MOVE INTO A STUDIO?

we will need to know what type of studio photography you are looking to do.
Are you looking for strobes or hot lights?
What is your budget?
How many lights were you thinking of?
What is your experience level?
and how much room will you have in the new space?, and how high are the ceilings?

Sorry I hurt your ears with my yelling, speedtrap. I didn't realize the caps lock traveled through the airwaves.

That seemed kind of rude when he was actually trying to help you. Maybe you should answer his questions if you want some real help.

DONT'T WORRY ABOUT IT TILL DECEMBER.

That's not really contributing to the thread. Before we can help you, we need more information from you.

Probably the biggest one will be the size of the room you're using. If you buy a huge power pack with the most juice possible and a head that can output that much power, but you have a room the size of Harry Potter's Broom closet... it's going to create just as many problems as having not enough power. Think of it as using a 20 pound Sledgehammer for hitting nails into the side of a bird house. Sure, you can do it. But would you want to?

TOO MUCH POWER is just as problematic as NOT HAVING ENOUGH. You won't be able to dial down the power sufficiently to get it where you want, and the idea is that you control your equipment and you dictate the settings, not the other way around.

"oh.. I'll just set it at F22 because that's the lowest I can go because my strobes won't let me go any lower than that.." Bad idea. The idea here is flexiblity.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back