What's new

Exp. with getting equipment off ebay?

DSpandel

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I've seen a ton of different lenses and extension tubes on ebay and wondered if anyone has had any luck with items bought on ebay?

I'm still a bit new and need to build up my gear but on a budget.
 
There are some good finds and there are ripoffs. If you don't feel right about it....walk. You don't save any money when you have to buy stuff twice.

Also don't get sucked into the bidding wars. I do my research, set my max bid and stick with it. If it goes over, I look elsewhere.

This is what I do with anything I am shopping for. I have saved quite a bit in this manner. However I have also had to knock on someone's door with my mean face and a friend in order to keep from getting ripped for several hundred bucks. I don't recommend that route. Just keep it in the back of your head when something doesn't sound right.

I just picked up a nice Sunpak PZ40X for ~$35. It has a couple of scratches, but works perfectly. I plan on upgrading to a speedlight later this year so I didn't want to pay retail on a new Sunpak.
 
I've got a fair bit of stuff off of eBay.

Got my 70-200 f/4L from there as well as a fair bit of DJ gear.

So far no issues. Just be careful of who you're dealing with and if it's too good to be true, it probably is!
 
I just got some used Kenko extension tubes off ebay. They look and function like brand new.
 
Ebay is a marketplace not a vendor... question is like asking... "How are the clothes at the mall?"

With that said, I do may fair share of ebay (both selling and buying). From a transaction perspective, there are risks (just like anywhere else). If it is too good to be true, it is...Also, I rarely go "blind" shopping and research on ebay. Its pointless. As a buyer, I already know exactly what I want before searching ebay. I also don't waste my time watching and sniping.
 
You can do ok on ebay. I've had a couple of messes but not bad considering all the dealing I've done on there. Check seller feedback & know what you're buying. Don't pay more than an item's worth. I'm amazed to see some people paying same as or more than new. Don't be amazing.
 
Ebay is an excellent place to buy. You are protected as a buyer more at ebay then you are just about anywhere else.

Just make sure you know what your buying, and never buy ANYTHING that's listed "as-is no returns."
 
from all the gear i got from ebay, the extention tubes i got where pretty much the bigguest ripoff i ever had on ebay haha,

I bought softboxes, stands, brackets, lens hood, batteries and the quality were always great.

I think best deal i ever had on ebay is the 24X24 speedlight softbox that i got for 40 bucks (vs 200+) for the lastolite.
I had a shoot a couple days ago and used it a bit and it works like a charm.
 
from all the gear i got from ebay, the extention tubes i got where pretty much the bigguest ripoff i ever had on ebay haha,

I bought softboxes, stands, brackets, lens hood, batteries and the quality were always great.

I think best deal i ever had on ebay is the 24X24 speedlight softbox that i got for 40 bucks (vs 200+) for the lastolite.
I had a shoot a couple days ago and used it a bit and it works like a charm.

I agree, new items from china are not the best ebay deals. Used items from estates are a different story.

My two favorite ebay buys:

1) $500 = MINT nikon F5 with 80-200mm f2.8 af-s
2) $3000 = entire estate of nikon gear from pro-photographer, just two of the 50+ items were worth more then what I paid.
 
Macro lenses were on my list of things to pick up so thanks for the heads up
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom