This is nice. The exposure is good. Still a little detail in the snow yet it is white. I like the shed or barn. And it's winter! Brrr!!!
Thanks, Rick. The detail in the white snow is a direct result of my learning what is the dynamic range of my camera, in this exercise:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...rmine-dynamic-range-camera-my-experiment.html. Now, I can place the whites just inside the "pure-white" areas of the histogram and still retain that detail. And yes, despite the calendar saying it is the third day of spring, it still looks like winter, although, the pavement is mostly dry, and it's nice to stand outside in the warm sun.
Fire up the wood chipper!!!! Not familiar with the Fargo brand of trucks. I must say,this image looked somewhat unimpressive when seen small on-screen--but upon clicking on it, and it becoming "embiggened", it REALLY came to life! Weird how that works on some pictures...small they lose it, but seen bigger, there's actually a picture in there! Lovely rendering of the snow AND the dark tones!
Thanks, Derrel. I generally upload directly to TPF, and the site handles the attachments in this way. Don't know if there is a way around that, to show the image at full size using the attachment feature, but as long as people click on the image and see the full size, I guess it's good. As for the rendering of the snow and dark tones, it IS partly because I've got a much better handle on the dynamic range of my camera, and what I can get into the image without blowing the brights, and blocking the darks.
Good pic! something about the plants isn't too my taste, but I can't tell if its the ones on the right or the one on the left by the truck.
Thanks, Tiller. There was a tree in the foreground with overhanging branches and dead leaves and I just didn't have enough DOF to pull them into focus while still retaining detail at the back AND having a shutter speed that would allow a little (but not too much) blurring of the falling snow. In effect, this scene was seen through a tunnel of brush, and would have been completely hidden once the foilage is out. I do get your (I think) your feeling about the foilage, but sometimes, it is what it is.
I like this... nicely done.
Thanks, John. Appreciate your comment.
Nice winter scene. You can almost feel the cold.
Thanks, Rick. Waddayamean, you can "almost feel the cold"? You're
supposed to feel the cold! I even got the swirling snow to show up (well, in the big version of the pic). And I'll be very happy to have the winter scene replaced by some decent temperatures. Although the latest snow fall means that I can go cross-country skiing one more time. Which I'll do once I have my coffee. Priorities, you know.
I really like the shingle siding and the crooked door. Texture and color look really great. I also think this would be a good place to return in the spring early summer with some green to complement the rest of the scene.
did you also try in B&W?
Thank you, ZimPhoto. Yes, but I got lucky in spotting this little scene. As said above, I saw this through a little tunnel of brush and trees, and once the foilage is out, it would be almost completely invisible from the road. Although now that I know it is there, I'll see if I can come again and perhaps get permission from the owner(s) to come closer. But who knows, maybe the snow is hiding a lot of unattractive crud.
As for trying this in B&W, I have only basic editing/postprocessing tools at the moment (Canon's DPP), and therefore my ability to produce a nice B&W is limited. OK, I shouldn't blame my tools, by DPP does not have many options to convert to B&W other than desaturating. So when I get around to buying and installing Lightroom, I may have more options. You're right - this is a candidate to try this technique on when I do get the software.