Fargo!

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Found this on a back road, as flurries swirled, and the sun was setting. Name plate looks as shiny as the day it was made. The rest, not so much.

C&C always welcome.

$Fargo_2186_s.JPG

ISO 100, 1/50 sec, f/8 105mm on T1i, cropped and WB adjusted, some sharpening, some curves...

This is nice. The exposure is good. Still a little detail in the snow yet it is white. I like the shed or barn. And it's winter! Brrr!!!

Fire up the wood chipper!!!! Not familiar with the Fargo brand of trucks. I must say,this image looked somewhat unimpressive when seen small on-screen--but upon clicking on it, and it becoming "embiggened", it REALLY came to life! Weird how that works on some pictures...small they lose it, but seen bigger, there's actually a picture in there! Lovely rendering of the snow AND the dark tones!

Good pic! something about the plants isn't too my taste, but I can't tell if its the ones on the right or the one on the left by the truck.

Nice winter scene. You can almost feel the cold.

I really like the shingle siding and the crooked door. Texture and color look really great. I also think this would be a good place to return in the spring early summer with some green to complement the rest of the scene.
did you also try in B&W?

This is nice. The exposure is good. Still a little detail in the snow yet it is white. I like the shed or barn. And it's winter! Brrr!!!

Thanks, Rick. The detail in the white snow is a direct result of my learning what is the dynamic range of my camera, in this exercise: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...rmine-dynamic-range-camera-my-experiment.html. Now, I can place the whites just inside the "pure-white" areas of the histogram and still retain that detail. And yes, despite the calendar saying it is the third day of spring, it still looks like winter, although, the pavement is mostly dry, and it's nice to stand outside in the warm sun.

Fire up the wood chipper!!!! Not familiar with the Fargo brand of trucks. I must say,this image looked somewhat unimpressive when seen small on-screen--but upon clicking on it, and it becoming "embiggened", it REALLY came to life! Weird how that works on some pictures...small they lose it, but seen bigger, there's actually a picture in there! Lovely rendering of the snow AND the dark tones!

Thanks, Derrel. I generally upload directly to TPF, and the site handles the attachments in this way. Don't know if there is a way around that, to show the image at full size using the attachment feature, but as long as people click on the image and see the full size, I guess it's good. As for the rendering of the snow and dark tones, it IS partly because I've got a much better handle on the dynamic range of my camera, and what I can get into the image without blowing the brights, and blocking the darks.

Good pic! something about the plants isn't too my taste, but I can't tell if its the ones on the right or the one on the left by the truck.

Thanks, Tiller. There was a tree in the foreground with overhanging branches and dead leaves and I just didn't have enough DOF to pull them into focus while still retaining detail at the back AND having a shutter speed that would allow a little (but not too much) blurring of the falling snow. In effect, this scene was seen through a tunnel of brush, and would have been completely hidden once the foilage is out. I do get your (I think) your feeling about the foilage, but sometimes, it is what it is.

I like this... nicely done.

Thanks, John. Appreciate your comment.

Nice winter scene. You can almost feel the cold.

Thanks, Rick. Waddayamean, you can "almost feel the cold"? You're supposed to feel the cold! I even got the swirling snow to show up (well, in the big version of the pic). And I'll be very happy to have the winter scene replaced by some decent temperatures. Although the latest snow fall means that I can go cross-country skiing one more time. Which I'll do once I have my coffee. Priorities, you know.

I really like the shingle siding and the crooked door. Texture and color look really great. I also think this would be a good place to return in the spring early summer with some green to complement the rest of the scene.
did you also try in B&W?

Thank you, ZimPhoto. Yes, but I got lucky in spotting this little scene. As said above, I saw this through a little tunnel of brush and trees, and once the foilage is out, it would be almost completely invisible from the road. Although now that I know it is there, I'll see if I can come again and perhaps get permission from the owner(s) to come closer. But who knows, maybe the snow is hiding a lot of unattractive crud.

As for trying this in B&W, I have only basic editing/postprocessing tools at the moment (Canon's DPP), and therefore my ability to produce a nice B&W is limited. OK, I shouldn't blame my tools, by DPP does not have many options to convert to B&W other than desaturating. So when I get around to buying and installing Lightroom, I may have more options. You're right - this is a candidate to try this technique on when I do get the software.

love this shot, the snow gives way to the warm colors of the barn, even abandoned warmth remains..def a keeper

I like this a lot, Paul. That building has such a personality. Is there any story behind the building?

love this shot, the snow gives way to the warm colors of the barn, even abandoned warmth remains..def a keeper

Thanks, Ed. I did adjust the white balance a bit to reflect the warmth of the setting sun.

I like this a lot, Paul. That building has such a personality. Is there any story behind the building?

Thanks, Mishele. I came acroos this scene while driving by, and had to stop and backup to see it again. On Google-maps Streetview, it is here: Google Maps
It's part of the island that is still partly country, but since it is close to the water, people with lots of money are buying up the land and building large mansions all along that road. This building is part of what used to be, and I think it's days are severely limited. I will need to go back soon, as I suspect within a year or two that will be bulldozed, and another fenced in mansion will be built in its place. You can actually see the truck in the aerial view of this area.

I must say,this image looked somewhat unimpressive when seen small on-screen--but upon clicking on it, and it becoming "embiggened", it REALLY came to life! Weird how that works on some pictures...small they lose it, but seen bigger, there's actually a picture in there!

I learned long ago with Paul's pictures you MUST view them large, if you don't you miss the whole thing!!

Great find and shot Paul :)
Often with this kind of shot I find the snowy foreground becomes too much for the image but you found a great composition and exposure so it isn't a big block o' snow, great job :)

Well, I like to have my cake and eat it too...while I liked the overall impact of the scene, there was just too much of everything in focus to plant my feet and endure the cold while enjoying the shot......soooooooooooo, yes, I played with it a bit and as always my playing is for me to look at something and say..."what if." I like working with other people's work about as much as I like spending other people's money.

I just placed the focus on the truck as that was what was in the title. Had it been "Broken Down Old Building in the Snow," a different focus would apply.

(I think that is a 1965 or 66 Dodge Flatbed with a Fargo bug screen.) This image would take a lot more work than I gave it to make this type of edit work, but it is workable. I did find I didn't like the tonal values (colorwise) of the snow, so did some alteration on that note, omiting the bluishness and leaving the setting sunny-ishness to the reflective ice crystals. (I love those ishness words. I make them fit as I go.)

$8582931580_5e1865437e_o.jpg

It's interesting thinking about what happened in this shot. How does a once thriving truck and building get to this place in time. What happened to the owner and why did they let this decay happen. I always think about invisible's shots this way too. There is probably a long story to answer those questions. =)

Last edited:
Danged if Derrel didn't beat me to the punch on a new word...Embiggened. I love it and shall steal it and use it freely but won't claim it for my own. Hey, there's only so much to my depth of hypocricy!

Most reactions

Back