Favorite Photographer

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some of the photographers that are called "the greats" of today I like, while some others in my opinion have very little skill. I guess it's definitely true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally could watch Jerry Ghionis all day long. Love his style. I've also run across a few no-name photographers that have some great work. Do you guys find yourselves gravitating to one artist or a short list of a few artists?

I'm probably a bit behind the times... I just finished watching War Photographer, which is a documentary on James Nachtwey, probably one of the best (and gutsiest) photo journalists today.

Great documentary and his work is just awesome.

Other than that, I'm not really into the know with modern photographers.

ansel adams is great, but thats a cop out, too easy.

i dont know too much about him and i found him on accident in the library, but after looking at new york vertical, horst hamann is definitely one of my favorite photographers. he shoots what im into. if your into nyc, or architecture photography, i highly recommend his book.

Joe McNally :) I really like his work, and he's a great teacher too.

I never did get into Ansel Adams. Great work, just never said much to me. Maybe I've just seen too much of it, over and over again.

My faves: Ellen von Unwerth, Frans Lanting, Helmut Newton, Peter Lindbergh, James Nachtwey, Bob Carlos Clarke, Lauren Greenfield, Patrick Demarchelier, Galen Rowell, Nan Goldin, Cindy Sherman, Sante D'Orazio...

Probably a few that I'm forgetting, but these are the people that have inspired me, sometimes in different ways, to shoot. I'm always finding new photographers that blow me away, though, so the list is a little dynamic :D I expose myself to as much photography as possible, mostly through books and magazines, and occasionally the Internet (too much predictable and overdone fluff out there, though if you look hard enough you're sure to find some gems).

Jeffrey Marcus, Aaron Akselrud, Chaim and Sid Perris, Joe McNally, Steve Sint, David Sizer, Carin Skinner... Just to name of few.
All have their own unique style and it is a PRIVILEGE to take something from each and every one of them.

I see amazing work on here everyday. I see amazing work from other LA photographers everyday. Digital photography is just now starting to come into it's own comfortable spot in photo history. Imagine what the future holds?

Narrowing it down to a hand full of artists for me would be a daunting task. I will say my absolute favorite of all time is the late Irving Penn. Arguably the 20th century's greatest photographer.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back