Feedback please..

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking my daughter's prom pictures this afternoon and need some feedback with my lighting. I'll be using a Rapid Box I just bought with my speedlight. I took my son outside to practice. Here's an image I took. I just need feed back on the exposure and the lighting. I put the light camera right. I'm tired of blown backgrounds, so I want to learn to use fill light effectively.

iso125
f3.5
1/1250

Thank you!

DSC_0978flash practice by TamiAz, on Flickr

Is there anywhere to go with shade? He looks a little bit squinty in the bright sun.

Great photo though.

Is there anywhere to go with shade? He looks a little bit squinty in the bright sun.

Great photo though.
Thank you! I just had him stand outside our sliding door..He wasn't thrilled, so I had to make it super quick. I just focused on getting my light right for this. I normally would pay attention to squinting.

You're pretty darn close! If you could, I would bump the speedlight up another stop or so, and and maybe bring it in a bit closer (and of course adjust camera exposure appropriately); the highlights are still a tad hot, but regardless, as-is, it's 100% better than 99.9% of such pictures.

You're pretty darn close! If you could, I would bump the speedlight up another stop or so, and and maybe bring it in a bit closer (and of course adjust camera exposure appropriately); the highlights are still a tad hot, but regardless, as-is, it's 100% better than 99.9% of such pictures.

Thank you for the feedback.. I'll be sure to watch those highlights.

I'd say the light on his face is about right, especially for a boy. For a girl, you could increase the amount of light on her face a bit.

The harsh sunlight on his shoulders is what is throwing this shot off for me. Maybe when you shoot your daughter the sun will be lower.

I'd say the light on his face is about right, especially for a boy. For a girl, you could increase the amount of light on her face a bit.

The harsh sunlight on his shoulders is what is throwing this shot off for me. Maybe when you shoot your daughter the sun will be lower.

Thank you.. Yes, the sun will be much lower when we do the pictures.

Looks to me like fill light should. :)

Ok.. Here are two of my favorite pictures from tonight. Still need a lot of practice, but I'm getting more comfortable with using a speed light. Thanks for the input.

Crud..I just noticed the guy in the picture on the right. Grrrrrr..

prom3 by TamiAz, on Flickr

prom2 by TamiAz, on Flickr

Thank you! I just had him stand outside our sliding door..He wasn't thrilled, so I had to make it super quick. I just focused on getting my light right for this. I normally would pay attention to squinting.

:lol:

Great job! Both of those are great!!! :1219:

Yeah, very nice. Congrats!

You can remove the guy in the background in PS. I used the lasso tool, I only spent a few minutes on this, so it could be much better! :)

26199926800_41dddb6827_c.jpg

You can remove the guy in the background in PS. I used the lasso tool, I only spent a few minutes on this, so it could be much better! :)

View attachment 119708

Cool.. My photoshop skills are lacking. I'll give it a try today. Thank you!

Most reactions

Back