Film Camera Selection Help for Student

jem556

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some advice from the good folks on this forum...
My daughter is a college student and signed up for a photography class this semester. She needs to purchase a 35mm SLR film camera for the class. I doubt that the camera will ever be used again after the class, and I want to get her the best value with that fact in mind. I know absoulutely nada about 35mm cameras. We really don't have time to track down a used camera, so I will be buying a new one. Any advice for this purchase would be greatly appreciated...

Criteria:

Functional
Dependable
Economical
Probably little or no use after the class is finished

For a 35mm film SLR 'new' probably isn't reasonable. There are a few being made, but they're expensive. I would check out your local Craig's List and look for a used Pentax; they're well made, inexpensive and there are a ton or reasonably priced lenses available. My first choice would be an ME Super, followed by an ME, followed by a K1000. These can all be found very reasonably, and I seem them regularily with several nice lenses for ~$100.

Of course there are lots of other good choices too, the Canon AE-1 and AE-1 Program, a slew of Nikons. Imports such as the Praktika can be had for <$50.

Buy a Pentax, good price, very good quality, often under rated, it will produce the most beautiful pictures provided that she has some talent.

If you don't plan on shooting film like most people these days, get a used Nikon F100 or N80. I just sold my N80 on ebay for $129 which included a 2x teleconverter, a wide angle zoom lens and a telephoto zoom 70-300 f/3.5-5.6.

Now if you ask me, that is highway robbery!!! but i guess since It only cost about $1000 for all of that brand new about 11 years ago, then it wasn't too bad.

However If you plan to continue shooting film (good luck) get one of these
Canon EOS-1V Camera Body 2043A005 B&H Photo Video

For a student, a nikon FM or FE's are great student cameras.

Look for one that comes with a 50mm lens, typically they're the 50mm f1.8 series E. The 50mm f1.4 is better, but twice the price.

Here's some fair prices so you don't get ripped off:

Nikon FM = $65
Nikon FE = $75
50mm 1.8 series E lens = $40
50mm 1.4 lens = $90

The nice thing about nikon cameras is the availability of quality lenses, you can even use modern DSLR nikon lenses on an old nikon provided it has an aperture ring (not "G") and is full-frame (not "DX").

The lenses also hold their value more, as modern digital users can use them on their cameras. That way if she resells all her gear after the class, she'll likely get her $$ back, whereas the many of the other lens lines are "dead" and dropping in value fast.

I second the Nikon FM or FE leaning more toward the FE (I own one). It'll give her the flexibility of the camera selecting the shutter speed if on aperture priority.

I recommend the Olympus iS-20DLX, as it has been the camera I've been using for quite a while now (yes, I enjoy shooting film), and it is quite reliable, and you can find them rather inexpensive on Amazon.com, but if things like selectable aperture (although it does have selectable exposure times, and a set high ISO function), hot shoe and interchangable lenses (it has a fixed, but very powerful lens) are an issue, I agree with everyone else, a Nikon FM, specifically the FM10 in my opinion, is a really good choice.

Double check with the professor but a entry level Pentax or Nikon will do fine.

1. It has to be able to shoot manual. (The professor will most likely not let you shoot in any pre programmed mode, mine didn't.)

2. Lens: 50mm fixed lens. Some profs do not allow zoom lenses.

3. light meter: as long as the light meter in the camera works you will be fine. Otherwise get them a hand held meter.

4. Try craigslist and ebay for everything. Or a second hand camera shop. The prof might also have a list of places to buy or rent a camera.

I have a super clean Pentax K1000 SE that I could sell for $100.

DSC_0314.sized.jpg

Most reactions

Back