Film SLR vs DSLR

[
...Generally, for X number of dollars, you can buy a more well made film camera than digital camera. IMO, they also tend to last longer. I have cameras that I use daily that are older than I am (I'm 31 right now)...etc.

That's one thing I like too. My Leica IIIf from the 1950's still takes nice photos.. my d70 in comparison only works when I fiddle with the memory card for a bit.

Me Taking a Picture of My Girlfriend Taking a Picture of Me by bhop, on Flickr

Runnah, I'm surprised you're not the one that started this thread! Lol

I know better, but at least I am winning.
Winning what ? If you are professional photographer, sure, with digital you are winning: clients, money...you name it. But you are loosing time discussing this here. If you are enthusiast of photography what's your worry, what we are shooting ? If "easier", according to your words, gives you the top satisfaction, that's fine. I have a fun developing film in hundred different ways and spend time in the darkroom. Do you mind ? Or I seem to you like a backwater still living in the bushes ? I met such a opinions already...

35mm film is fun.

I see advantages in larger format films. But just the size of the medium. I think it would be pretty sweet to be able to create a portrait, standing 10-15 feet from my subject, with an 800mm lens!!!

Someday I hope there will be 8x10 digital sensors that are "affordable".

First we have to have affordable computers able to handle 2 gigapixel files. :lol: Such a sensors won't happened. There is no point.

First we have to have affordable computers able to handle 2 gigapixel files. :lol: Such a sensors won't happened. There is no point.

I remember the guy who sold my family a computer years ago "Yep you'll be good for years with that massive 20GB harddrive! You'll never use it all up!"

Nowadays a single software package can be near enough to that or more - and photos will eat that up in no time!
The tech will advance, as will the specifications - the real factor is the cost of producing the silicon wafer that size. Heck we are only just reaching a point where the 35mm sensor might digitally start to become the norm again (we are down to the 6D fullframe - we could easily in the next few years see a true entry level 35mm sensor hit the market).

I remember the guy who sold my family a computer years ago "Yep you'll be good for years with that massive 20GB harddrive! You'll never use it all up!"

Nowadays a single software package can be near enough to that or more - and photos will eat that up in no time!
The tech will advance, as will the specifications - the real factor is the cost of producing the silicon wafer that size. Heck we are only just reaching a point where the 35mm sensor might digitally start to become the norm again (we are down to the 6D fullframe - we could easily in the next few years see a true entry level 35mm sensor hit the market).

I think he was referring to the fact that cameras are already pretty much at the limits of human eye resolution when their images are printed and hung. Thus, there's not much point in going beyond that. Better technology would make more sense to apply to smaller, lighter, cheaper equipment, but not so much higher resolution equipment.

At least, that's what I would expect if people acted rationally with regard to camera equipment, which they do not... So yeah, we may very well see large format digital in the mainstream sometime in the nearish future.

Quick scan of a slide i got back today (Agfa Precisa)

scan587-XL.jpg

I think he was referring to the fact that cameras are already pretty much at the limits of human eye resolution when their images are printed and hung. Thus, there's not much point in going beyond that. Better technology would make more sense to apply to smaller, lighter, cheaper equipment, but not so much higher resolution equipment.QUOTE]Thank you, exactly that. Dslrs are already big, heavy and cumbersome.

[
...Generally, for X number of dollars, you can buy a more well made film camera than digital camera. IMO, they also tend to last longer. I have cameras that I use daily that are older than I am (I'm 31 right now)...etc.

That's one thing I like too. My Leica IIIf from the 1950's still takes nice photos.. my d70 in comparison only works when I fiddle with the memory card for a bit.

Me Taking a Picture of My Girlfriend Taking a Picture of Me by bhop, on Flickr

Your girlfriend using an X100 to photograph you using your Leica?

The benefit of film photography is that you have a huge lattitude of over-exposure. You don't have to worry about blowing highlights out.

The benefit of film photography is that you have a huge lattitude of over-exposure. You don't have to worry about blowing highlights out.

Really?

200px-Fuji_film_Velvia.jpg

Will this subject ever die its been years already..

It took me awhile to go digital but when I did, certainly impressed. Saying that I still have my film cameras but mostly for B&W. I do not see a problem using film if you are creative and like experimenting etc. It's a personal thing, like records where albeit a small market is taking off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back