Film SLR vs DSLR

Very curious comparison. You don't know much about the film photography, right ?

Probably more than you think I do.

The comparison was not meant to denote an old, outdated technology (intending to paint it as inferior) vs a new, modern (implied better) technology. It was intended to compare two different styles. I also mentioned hotrodding and within that realm there are those who like the very early automobiles, restored to pristine and those who like newer muscle cars customized and with big, powerful engines, and everything in between. Heck, there are folks who just like building cars more than they like owning and driving them, so they'll buy one, spend a couple years rebuilding and customizing it, sell it and start over.

The point is that everyone has their taste for what they do and why and one isn't "right" and the other "wrong".

I'm guessing by the explanation I just had to give, you didn't get it, right?
I think this explanation gives me some understanding of car enthusiasts division. What I understand you like to make images but couldn't really cope with film technology (for maybe very many different reasons). So it became for you outdated and bad when compared to new, digital thing. That's OK man, I think myself, that digital photography is a blessing for many. It is like a fast food and driver thru compared to own cooking.

Ok, let me be very clear. Film is not outdated and bad to me. I didn't stay with it and don't do it now because it's about money. I can't afford to shoot as much as I want with film.

If I were rich I'd do both, and have my own darkroom for sure.

There, no analogies for you to struggle with.

Ok, let me be very clear. Film is not outdated and bad to me. I didn't stay with it and don't do it now because it's about money. I can't afford to shoot as much as I want with film.

If I were rich I'd do both, and have my own darkroom for sure.

There, no analogies for you to struggle with.
I said OK man. Many people couldn't have even rudimentary darkroom in the past and now. I think mostly it was a problem with the space then anything else. In this aspect digital is an awesome technology I don't deny this. It is awesome in many other aspects to. Good, that we have it. And I am shooting film only for the fun of using this technology, not, that I consider it better. In average 400' of film and some 300 of 8x10 a year, nothing extensive.

In my personal experiences. Just like playing board-game chess and video game chess with your Ipad. In video game chess, you can set to easy mode, and you will always wins. In board-game chess, it is more challenging and there are risks involved. You have 50/50 chances of winning or losing. The 35mm film SLR is very challenging compared to my DSLR. However, it seems addictive using my film SLR than my DLSR. That is what make film slr so fun about. I kinda like the challenge.

Last edited:
The 35mm film SLR is very challenging compared to my DSLR.

Strange, I still think the opposite!!! ;) To me it is still easier to handle dynamic range / exposure on film, even on less forgiving slide film!

Strange, I still think the opposite!!! ;) To me it is still easier to handle dynamic range / exposure on film, even on less forgiving slide film!

I'm just starting to film. Just give me times.

I'm just starting to film. Just give me times.

Ah OK, guess it is all about what you got used to first. If you started with film, it will be easier, if you grew up digital, then digital will be easier.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back