filters?

qwertyjjj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have 2 lenses one with a 62mm end one with a 58mm end.
I might just get the filters for the telehoto lens to save some money but what do I need?
AFAIK I should get a UV for protection, a polarising CPL, and a grad neutral density.
I heard FLW could also be used. Id this different to FLD and why can this effect not be done with white balance to make the picture mor purple?

Thinking grey grad for the 18-50mm lens for landscapes sunsets.
Then CPL, FLV for the telephoto 70-300mm.

Last edited:
Find out the largest filter size for the lenses you plan to get in future.

Get translation rings to that filter size for every lens filter size you have.

Get highest quality filters only, otherwise your image quality can suffer substantly.

Good filters to get:
- polarizer for filtering reflected light (sky, water / metal surfaces)
- neutral density filter (3 step) for large apertures in bright sunlight
- neutral density filter (10 step) for long time exposures (tripod required)
- gradient neutral density filter (2 step) for toning down bright skies agains dimmed landscape.
- variable neutral density filter for video (for overall smoothness through blur in the individual frame) and special effects (tripod likely required)

If you want, you can get a uv filter for each of your lenses as additional protection. But in that case, get something really sturdy. No point in adding a uv filter if the lens itself will be hurt even more by the splinters of the shattered uv filter.

Find out the largest filter size for the lenses you plan to get in future.

Get translation rings to that filter size for every lens filter size you have.

Get highest quality filters only, otherwise your image quality can suffer substantly.

Good filters to get:
- polarizer for filtering reflected light (sky, water / metal surfaces)
- neutral density filter (3 step) for large apertures in bright sunlight
- neutral density filter (10 step) for long time exposures (tripod required)
- gradient neutral density filter (2 step) for toning down bright skies agains dimmed landscape.
- variable neutral density filter for video (for overall smoothness through blur in the individual frame) and special effects (tripod likely required)

If you want, you can get a uv filter for each of your lenses as additional protection. But in that case, get something really sturdy. No point in adding a uv filter if the lens itself will be hurt even more by the splinters of the shattered uv filter.

So, an NDG is for doing long exposures or bokeh effects in bright light?
Filters like Hoya seem expensive for what they do.

Why is 'bokeh' so overused and misused?

An ND grad and a plain ND serve two different purposes. You want a plain ND for longer exposures and/or wider apertures, not an ND grad.

Why is 'bokeh' so overused and misused?

An ND grad and a plain ND serve two different purposes. You want a plain ND for longer exposures and/or wider apertures, not an ND grad.

Problem is that many NDG are quite expensive.
The NDplain, CPL, and FLV seem cheap enough.
Also, is it worth getting a FLW or will the FLD do the same job?

Why do you want an ND grad? Are you shooting digital? If digital, then a custom white balance will usually work much better than an FL- filter because there are so many types of fluorescent lamp. (Or are you planning to do some weird signal balancing to get the highest dynamic range?)

Why do you want an ND grad? Are you shooting digital? If digital, then a custom white balance will usually work much better than an FL- filter because there are so many types of fluorescent lamp. (Or are you planning to do some weird signal balancing to get the highest dynamic range?)

Digital, was just reading a book about exposure where the author talks about using a FLW for sunsets and city lights.
Also, I understood that the NDG was for bright daylight exposures where you needed to reduce exposure of the sky but brighten exposure of the ground.

Ah, you want better wabi-wasabi. Now I understand. Maybe it would be better to find in practice whether or not you really have a requirement for an ND grad before buying one, and a holder system. They are far from ideal, there are usually better options, and learning to expose for the highlights (aka ETTR) is useful.

If you just want a purple effect it is probably better to do it while editing the image rather than by using a physical filter. Which book suggested using a filter? Did the author offer any explanation?

Last edited:
Ah, you want better wabi-wasabi. Now I understand. Maybe it would be better to find in practice whether or not you really have a requirement for an ND grad before buying one, and a holder system. They are far from ideal, there are usually better options, and learning to expose for the highlights (aka ETTR) is useful.

If you just want a purple effect it is probably better to do it while editing the image rather than by using a physical filter. Which book suggested using a filter? Did the author offer any explanation?

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure p 139.
He does an exposure, he uses a FLW and it gives the sunset sy a nice purple tint.

Please phone him at home, right now. Please Don't ask other people to spend their time explaining his BS for free. He's made loads of money with a book that is filled with rubbish like that. Move on. Don't turn back.

My suggestion for you is stop keep thinking about buying stuff right now. Keep learning (like what you are doing right now) and then once you understand more and know why you need to buy that particular lens, filter, flash ... ... ... etc, then do it.

Buying stuff maybe fun especially for beginner and around this time. But without knowing why you need it, how you use it and when to use it, then it maybe better to wait. I think the main question is WHY you need it. Without know why, you may not able to justify the cost of that particular item.

Once you have enough experience or knowledge and notice that you are not able to do a task because of the limitation of your current gears. Then a addition gear or tool MAYBE the solution.

In other words, it is better to find out what you need/want to do and then select the tool(s) to do it.

Please phone him at home, right now. Please Don't ask other people to spend their time explaining his BS for free. He's made loads of money with a book that is filled with rubbish like that. Move on. Don't turn back.

You don't think it's a good book? I thought it was fairly well explained for a beginner's book and came recommended.

I think that it gets recommended by beginners who haven't yet discovered how much is wrong with it and who are not prepared to spend time explaining it or correcting the misinformation. Let the people who recommended it help you. Send them a PM.

My suggestion for you is stop keep thinking about buying stuff right now. Keep learning (like what you are doing right now) and then once you understand more and know why you need to buy that particular lens, filter, flash ... ... ... etc, then do it.

Buying stuff maybe fun especially for beginner and around this time. But without knowing why you need it, how you use it and when to use it, then it maybe better to wait. I think the main question is WHY you need it. Without know why, you may not able to justify the cost of that particular item.

Once you have enough experience or knowledge and notice that you are not able to do a task because of the limitation of your current gears. Then a addition gear or tool MAYBE the solution.

In other words, it is better to find out what you need/want to do and then select the tool(s) to do it.

That is what I was trying to say earlier, but perhaps too tersely.

I think that it gets recommended by beginners who haven't yet discovered how much is wrong with it and who are not prepared to spend time explaining it or correcting the misinformation. Let the people who recommended it help you. Send them a PM.

That is what I was trying to say earlier, but perhaps too tersely.

Well it was recommended all over this site.
TBF, it explained a lot to me about aperture, shutter speed, some technicalities, etc etc that I wouldn;t know otherwise. I could have looke dit up online but it's to see examples alongside.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back