Fine. Here's a girl.

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Y'all need to learn to appreciate the boys more.

Seriously.

You can be men and appreciate photos of other men. It's okay. :sexywink:

But, fine. Here's a girl. But I'm only posting this, because there is a story with it.

So I did a behind the scenes blog post about this on my website... but here is the REAL version:

This shoot was a f***ing disaster from the second it started.

So my friend assisted me on the shoot that day. We have this great thing going where I assist him... he assists me... somewhere along the way we stopped paying each other in real money and started paying each other in food, coffee, and beer. :laugh2: It's cool. We're good friends. It works out.

He's also the one with all the gear and the reason I've been able to put my money towards splitting a studio rental with him, as well as towards some other miscellaneous gear, rather than having to shell out for lights, because he lets me use them whenever I want, as long as he's not shooting... or you know... forgets them somewhere, haha.

So the day of the shoot, my client is at my house getting her hair/makeup done by the makeup artist, and my friend texts me and super apologetically tells me that he forgot that his lighting gear is still at the studio. He didn't have time to get it, because he was supposed to meet us in 20 minutes.

Okay, not a big deal. I'm used to shooting with speedlights -- That's what I did before I met him, so no biggie. He brought his speedlights, I had mine, he brought his triggers, I had mine... I had stands, so did he, and I had an Apollo speedlight softbox.

Perfect.

So we get to the first spot, which was an indoor venue with a grand piano and we go to set up the lights and he realizes that the transmitter for his pocket wizards is in his lighting bag... at the studio.

Cool, no big deal. I get out my triggers.

We set everything up... go to do a test AAAAAAND..... nothing.

We change channels, change batteries, and then we realize my trigger isn't blinking.

The transmitter was dead.

IT'S OKAY. I have a spare battery.

So I grab the battery and I go to grab the tinyass screwdriver that you need to open up a Cactus transmitter aaaaaaaaand... it's in my old camera bag. Bag at the house. I bought a new camera bag and transferred ALMOST everything to the new one. Almost. But not quite.

IT'S OKAY. My friend had a leatherman with a phillips head screw-driver on it.............

..............that was too big.

So I'm stalling with my clients, joking about batteries, and he sets into McGuyver mode and gets the flashes to slave off on another while I'm buffering the awkward wait time with my clients, and SOMEHOW... even the flash inside the softbox was able to see the OCF bouncing off the ceiling.

AWESOME.

So we started shooting finally. I shot on my friends 5DMKIII, cause it's better than my 5DMKII, and I can.

Everything went really well from that point on.

We didn't quite get the sunflare look she wanted, because the ORIGINALLY grassy field we were going to shoot in, that I always get that look at, got mowed down. So I found another field, but the sun was blocked by some trees.

We made it work.

Exhausted I get home, glad it's over, but glad my clients enjoyed themselves.

I go to edit some images in Capture One, since I downloaded a trial and have been messing with it, and I notice that the file says .jpg.

I thought maybe I had imported them incorrectly, so I went to Lightroom where I had originally dumped my CF cards and the files said... .jpg.

In a panic, I messaged my friend and was like, "THESE ARE ALL F***ING IN JPG. HOW THE HELL DID THAT EVEN HAPPEN?!"

To which he responded, "WHAT?! WHY THE HELL ARE THEY IN JPG?!"

"I DUNNO, THAT'S WHAT I'M ASKING YOU!!!"

"........[Insert Friend's Roommate's name]!!!! I BET HE TOOK MY CAMERA FOR REFERENCE PHOTOS AGAIN AND SWITCHED IT AND NEVER SWITCHED IT BACK! HE ALWAYS F***ING DOES THAT!!!!!"

Apparently that's EXACTLY what happened, and neither of us thought to check, because we both just ASSUMED that my friend was the last one to use his own camera, and he *always* shoots in raw. Except for those times his roommate takes his camera without his knowledge and forgets to flip it back from .jpg to raw, which has apparently happened a few times.

SO. Now I have the struggle of editing .jpgs of this session that ALREADY started off on the wrong foot.

It was the most frustrated I have ever been over a session, ever, ha.

BUT... I got this photo. And I really like it, haha.

_U5A9688-Edit.jpg

The next session my friend and I did together, was yesterday and it went MUCH smoother. I even shot on his camera again (after we both checked 50 thousand times that it was set to raw, haha).

Last edited:
Good story, brah!

OMG, you poor thing, that sounds like what the military would called FUBAR'd... as in F*****d Up Beyond All Repair. Well...lessons learned, I guess.Things can suck sometimes. Man...that sounds just mentally unnerving and annoying. I had the ,"Why the eff are all my shots JPEGS!!!" one time myself! Long story, but my own damned fault, got home and downloaded my CF cards, and an entire DAY'S worth of shots were SOOC JPEGs only! Do'ah!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I rated your post a "Useful"--first time ever for me to dole out a Useful, but you know, the messed-up shoots are the ones that have the best lessons,really. I think the most painfully, agonizingly FUBAR'd shoots I have done over the last 15 years are the ones that taught me the longest-lasting lessons.

Since botching an entire, 800+ frame day by shooting all-JPEG, and thinking I was in RAW+JPG mode, I have not made that mistake in over two solid years. One time I went to a birthday party with my d-slr and zoom and flash, and NO memory cards at all...that was in 2006, have not made that mistake since then either...

Shot a bunch of pics one day then invited my friend John E. Walker over and managed to delete every single one of them... "Do'ah!

Went six hours in the rain with a $3,500 d-slr with no camera raingear and managed to short circuit it for about 10 days, before it recovered, sort of...

The worst days are the best lessons...

Last edited:
Y'all need to learn to appreciate the boys more.

Seriously.

You can be men and appreciate photos of other men. It's okay. :sexywink:

Absolutely.

I've had days like that, but they typically involve plumbing of some kind.

Or a clothes dryer.

Given what you've gone through... very nice. Even if you didn't tell the stuff that happened, still very nice. But... where's the one where you asked her to hold the camera and YOU went down to show how it's done?

Good job Rose - a shoot that tried every way it knew how to turn to s**t and you pulled it off. There's a word for that... someone help me...oh, right. "Professional"!

Good story, brah!

OMG, you poor thing, that sounds like what the military would called FUBAR'd... as in F*****d Up Beyond All Repair. Well...lessons learned, I guess.Things can suck sometimes. Man...that sounds just mentally unnerving and annoying. I had the ,"Why the eff are all my shots JPEGS!!!" one time myself! Long story, but my own damned fault, got home and downloaded my CF cards, and an entire DAY'S worth of shots were SOOC JPEGs only! Do'ah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sh*t happens and then you do your best in Photoshop... or... something like that... right? :biglaugh: :laugh2: :sexywink:

PS: I rated your post a "Useful"--first time ever for me to dole out a Useful, but you know, the messed-up shoots are the ones that have the best lessons,really. I think the most painfully, agonizingly FUBAR'd shoots I have done over the last 15 years are the ones that taught me the longest-lasting lessons.

Since botching an entire, 800+ frame day by shooting all-JPEG, and thinking I was in RAW+JPG mode, I have not made that mistake in over two solid years. One time to a birthday party with my d-slr and zoom and flash, and NO memory cards at all...that was in 2006, have no made that mistake since then either...

Shot a bunch of pics one day then invited my friend John E. Walker over and managed to delete every single one of them... "Do'ah!

Went six hours in the rain with a $3,500 d-slr with no camera raingear and managed to short circuit it for about 10 days, before it recovered, sort of...

Haha, well thank you! That's why I posted it honestly. I was SUPER panicked when I first discovered the .jpgs. That was like... the last straw for me, but I'm all good now, and I'm kind of chuckling about the ridiculousness of it all. And I figured I could share and either someone could learn something from it, or at least have the peace of mind of knowing that not every shoot is flawless. Far from it. :lol:

Given what you've gone through... very nice. Even if you didn't tell the stuff that happened, still very nice. But... where's the one where you asked her to hold the camera and YOU went down to show how it's done?

ACTUALLY... You'd be surprised... I actually instructed her that one, 100%. I didn't have to lay. I just had her lay down, and told her to twist her hips towards me, where to place her feet, and had her place her hands.

I bent down for a split second to fix her skirt, but I avoided full demonstration, haha.

Good job Rose - a shoot that tried every way it knew how to turn to s**t and you pulled it off. There's a word for that... someone help me...oh, right. "Professional"!

I honestly owe Matthew a huge portion of that credit. By the time we got down to the, "I can't f***ing open the battery compartment to my transmitter" part, I was done.

He was in recovery mode, and I let him to it, because I was slipping into panic mode... so I put on my customer service damage control skills and tended to my clients, while he put on his "Professional Commercial Photo Assistant" skills and sorted out the flash slaving and got us moving again.

I legitimately don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been there. I don't think that both my flashes can slave... only one... whereas both of his did, and I have NEVER ever used them as slaves. I've always had triggers for mine, so I don't even know if I would have figured it out on the spot.

I honestly owe Matthew a huge portion of that credit. By the time we got down to the, "I can't f***ing open the battery compartment to my transmitter" part, I was done.

He was in recovery mode, and I let him to it, because I was slipping into panic mode... so I put on my customer service damage control skills and tended to my clients, while he put on his "Professional Commercial Photo Assistant" skills and sorted out the flash slaving and got us moving again.

I legitimately don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been there. I don't think that both my flashes can slave... only one... whereas both of his did, and I have NEVER ever used them as slaves. I've always had triggers for mine, so I don't even know if I would have figured it out on the spot.

But you having him there as an assistant makes you a professional. That's what assistants are for--making things run smoothly. Seriously... one heck of a story and I have yet to have a photoshoot go like this... but I know I will. Glad to see you made it through unscathed and got some keepers. Nicely done!

Jake

But you having him there as an assistant makes you a professional. That's what assistants are for--making things run smoothly. Seriously... one heck of a story and I have yet to have a photoshoot go like this... but I know I will. Glad to see you made it through unscathed and got some keepers. Nicely done!

Jake

Thanks!

The real test will be what they buy and how much of it. :lol:

Meh... details...shmetails... results count. Full stop.

Wow, that's an Epic story, Em! I would definitely have had a meltdown. I've been edging closer and closer to thinking, "Meh, what the heck, I might as well throw my hat in this business ring and start shooting people for pay." Then I read a story like that and I'm reminded…I am NOT ready for prime time yet. I may just not be prime time material at all.

LOVELY result, though!

Wow, that's an Epic story, Em! I would definitely have had a meltdown. I've been edging closer and closer to thinking, "Meh, what the heck, I might as well throw my hat in this business ring and start shooting people for pay." Then I read a story like that and I'm reminded…I am NOT ready for prime time yet. I may just not be prime time material at all.

LOVELY result, though!

Like I said... had he not been there... I *would* have had a meltdown, hahahaha.

You should buy this for your friend! He can keep it in his camera bag on top of his camera, it will help keep his roommate away from his stuff!!! :)

images

The photo looks great! I hate it when I have days like that, and it seems like I have to many!!!LOL

Here is one of MANY reasons I don't think I could ever be a pro. I don't handle stuff like that well at all. Kudos to you for pulling this off!

You should buy this for your friend! He can keep it in his camera bag on top of his camera, it will help keep his roommate away from his stuff!!! :)

images

The photo looks great! I hate it when I have days like that, and it seems like I have to many!!!LOL

Well... I love his roommate too. So I'm not trying to cut his hand off... Especially since he's an exceptionally talented artist. :lol:

Here is one of MANY reasons I don't think I could ever be a pro. I don't handle stuff like that well at all. Kudos to you for pulling this off!

Thanks! ^_^

Most reactions

Back